We love Fort Kent


Advertisement
North America
August 30th 2008
Published: August 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

In the short time since we posted the last blog, our stay in Fort Kent has been promoted from good to fantastic. Yesterday afternoon we were strolling down the main drag when a woman by the name of Darlene stopped to ask if we were the Boone brothers. Taken aback we replied, "yes." Through a series of chance interactions with another pair of paddlers she had heard about our trip, which she found to be a great story. Then she told us that she owned the local tavern in town and that if we stopped by that night there would be a tab opened in our name. Needless to say we were excited. It is very rewarding to be congratulated on a paddle well done but free beer is a step above. So later that evening we stopped by Bee-Jays for a few beers but the night kept getting better. There we were put in contact with a freelance journalist, Julia. She offered to take us out to breakfast to hear about our trip thus far. Anyway we went to breakfast this morning and talked with Julia. She will be writing a story for the Bangor Daily News early next week. This reinforces our belief that the nicest people we have met are northern Mainers. I do have one correction to make: yesterday I stated that we stayed at the Northern Point Motel when in reailty it was the Northern Door Inn. I'm not sure how I was so terribly mistaken but ah well. Sadly our stop in Fort Kent is coming to a close but it will be remembered as the best trail town on the NFCT.

Advertisement



2nd September 2008

Nice.
Congrats. Good people and good press. Keep it up boys. Oh, and thanks for not taking my paddle Andy.
3rd September 2008

Wow!
I noticed your article in the BDN. You guys sure are inspiring! Good luck with the rest of your trip, and thanks for visiting Maine!
20th September 2008

Hey Guys!!
I bumped into Julia Bayley today in town here today (Fort Kent your favorite little town in Maine) and she told me about the article and your blog! Way Cool! Every parent could only hope for sons like you. When the journey winds up you have an open invitation to revisit Fort Kent and enjoy more brewskies at my bar. Be careful out there...you are in my thoughts and most of all HAVE FUN! Darlene

Tot: 0.134s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0559s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb