Welcome to the Columbia River Gorge from the Oregon side of the river.


Advertisement
North America
July 23rd 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Continuing our tour of the gorge from the Oregon side of the river , our first stop is Horsetail Falls to stop and rest a bit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Horsetail FallsHorsetail Falls
Horsetail Falls

You can climb down into the water and get behind the falls or even stand right under it if a cold shower is something that tickles your fancy.
Multnomah FallsMultnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls

One of the top rated tourist attractions in Oregon is Multnomah Falls. It is the highest waterfall in the Columbia River Gorge with a total drop of 620 feet. You will see the basalt cliffs full of ferns, moss and other growth. Several years ago a wedding party was standing on the bridge having professional photos taken when a large pickup truck sized boulder broke loose from the wall of the falls and fell below the bridge injuring 13 people. The rock measured 20 ft. across. No one was killed, but it certainly put a “damper” on the wedding party and took many days to dry out the tuxedos and gowns. Talk about frightening! The bridge that now stands here is a replacement of the original bridge that was made of logs. The gorge is also a popular windsurfing area. You can see the windsurfers and kite surfers gliding along the river. Many areas are also good for rafting and other sports. This waterway goes from Canada, through Washington separating Washington and Oregon to the Pacific Ocean.
Multnomah FallsMultnomah Falls
Multnomah Falls

Another shot of the falls


Tot: 0.235s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb