4 Ways to Get from Montreal to New York: By Plane, Train, Night Bus, Bus or Car


Advertisement
North America
July 15th 2019
Published: July 15th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Spending a weekend or maybe going on vacation to New York can be a thrilling experience, and it won’t even take too much time if you live in Montreal. A 600-km journey can be done by various means of transportation, so you won’t have to worry too much about planning a fun-filled weekend away with friends or family. Whether you choose to fly to New York, book an organized bus tour, have a train ride there or maybe be your own boss and drive to the Big Apple, you can travel from one city to the other by virtually every conceivable mode of transportation.

Let’s fly away



Aside from being the quickest way to get from Montreal to New York, flying is also the least affordable option. Ticket prices go from $275 to over $400 for a round trip, and if you count in the time you’ll be spending at the airport as well as how long it’ll take for you to reach the airport, a 90-minute flight may not be your best option for this trip after all. You can get a more enjoyable excursion for much less money if you decide to go by bus, for example.

Bus



One of the reasons bus travels are great is that you can find frequent and cheap coaches between the Gare d’autocars de Montréal and Port Authority Bus Terminal in New York. For those who like to travel by night, frequent night bus rides are organized too. That way you can sleep on the bus and have the entire next day for exploring the Big Apple instead of wasting 7+ hours on the coach. If you’ve never been to New York before, you should book an organized bus tour and have the entire trip planned without having to look for your own accommodation – everything will be organized for you.


Enjoy a scenic train ride



Traveling by train is another great way to reach The City That Never Sleeps. This type of conveyance will be especially convenient for all of you who like to journey through scenic regions and enjoy wonderful country views. Tickets are very affordable, so unless you’re a smoker and you need several stops or you can’t handle being on a train for 10 hours, this will be a wonderful trip for you. For the price of $69 to $100 each way, you can get a very pleasant picturesque ride that will certainly make you travel by train more often.

Travel at your own pace by car



The last, but not least, a trip from Montreal can also be done by car. This option is most convenient for everyone who does not like to stick to the schedule, but prefers to go off the beaten path and make as many stops as they want and wherever they deem fit. Not only is it relatively inexpensive, but also a fast way to get to New York. You can reach your destination in 6 hr 30 min via the I-87 motorway. If you’d like to capture some of the magnificent scenery, go down the U.S. Route 9W north of Poughkeepsie, State Route 9D or the Palisades and be sure to go by Taconic parkways.

Final thoughts



Planning a road trip from Montreal to New York has never been easier. The most important decision you need to make is which means of transportation you’d like to take and things will run smoothly from there on. Each of the types of transport has its good and bad sides, so make sure you go for the one that seems the most manageable, both money-wise and when it comes to comfort in order to have a truly delightful trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.419s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 39; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb