An Incan Tapestry


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
April 2nd 2014
Published: June 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -13.5295, -71.9687

We had to have our luggage outside the room by 6:30 and meet in the lobby by 7:00 for our bus ride back to the airport. We boarded our plane to Cusco and, after an hour plane ride, we arrived in Cusco. After getting off the plane we got on buses that took us through Cusco and to the Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco. There we were greeted with lemonade and delicious cevice and beet, sweet potato and regular homemade potato chips and guacamole. Then we were seated at tables and served a lunch of potatoes, quinoa cakes, tomato salad, alpaca loaf, bread, avocados, quiche and oven baked quinoa coated chicken. For dessert we had cheesecake and banana muffins.

We then saw a weaving demonstration by the women who work at the cooperative weaving in the traditional methods used by the Incas. The center is there to preserve these traditions.

Then we got back on the bus and drove into the Sacred Valley. We checked into our hotel the Sol y Luna Hotel and got settled in. Then we wandered the grounds taking photos and looking at the beautiful grounds.

We met at 5:55 pm for dinner and took as short walk to the Rancho Sol & Luna "Wayra". We were greeted with appetizers and Pisco Sours or Lemonade. Then we went outside for the Pachamanca. The chef had been preparing a pit that was full of river stones and wood and had been burning for 5 hours. The coals and remaining wood was removed from the pit and the rocks were put back in. The rocks were layered back into the pit with potatoes, alpaca, chicken, lamb, pork, guinea pig, fava beans and corn. The whole thing was covered with Alfalfa and then bags and allowed to cook for 45 minutes.

While the meal cooked we watched a show about how the world was formed. Performers represented the Sun, Earth, Lightening and Moon and then the God of Plenty.

We then watched the meal be removed from the pit and it was served to us for dinner. We were served tiramisu, chocolate cake and fruit for dessert.

Then we made our way back to the room for bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



11th October 2014

so did you try guinea pig?
11th October 2014

Of course I did. That is the second time I have had it. The other time was in Eucador. It isn't bad but, not planning on serving it for dinner anytime soon

Tot: 1.346s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb