Do Androids dream? L.A., Vegas, San Francisco, Sacramento, Portland and Seattle.


Advertisement
North America » United States
September 9th 2006
Published: September 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I was in the bathroom of a hotel room in California. The TV was talking to itself in the other room. Unless I've started hearing things I would swear I heard... "Wouldn't it be great if you didn't have to get out of the car to shop. Walgreens have (X number) of drive through pharmacies..." What a dream! The American shopping Utopia. Yes sir-ee. America is car country, for sure. There is ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 66, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sleepless in Seattle...Sleepless in Seattle...
Sleepless in Seattle...

This was the best photo I could get. The masts of the pleasure boats wrecked the photo of the old houseboats.
Seattle...the first StarbucksSeattle...the first Starbucks
Seattle...the first Starbucks

Blame this place for the plague of Starbucks spreading around the world.



12th September 2006

Underground Tour
Hi Stuart, Did you get the chance to do the Underground Tour in Seattle? Like you when I visited back in 1996 I liked the City. Vancouver is good as well, check out Gas Town and keep out of the Peeler Bars!
12th September 2006

You were in my town!
I've been following your blog since Africa, and I was tickled pink at the idea of you being in Sacramento. I was actually in San Francisco when you were here. That railroad museum is fascinating! I was in awe of the fact that the Irish immigrants laid 1 mile of track to (if memory serves me right) every 11 miles laid by the Chinese! Too bad you didn't get to the Gold Country to learn of all the Welsh and Cornish miners. -A.T.
13th September 2006

NW Passage
Yes, I did the underground tour. Vancouver was good, I am now in Victoria. I will be getting a ferry up the coast - the NW passsage.
14th September 2006

Hi Armchair Traveler
Yes, Armchair Traveler the Railway Museum was good. Unfortunately I rather rushed up the West Coast - so I missed a number of things it would have been good to see. Maybe I'll be back that way one day in the future. Who knows?
19th September 2006

Howdy Hi!
Stuart, I'm the Irish girl you met on the Boeing tour day. Funny, I see myself coming down the steps in your 'Comet, Museum of Flight, Seattle' photo! So I eventually left Seattle and headed north to Vancouver, etc. Returned to LA and spent the end of my travels in Santa Monica which is nice (I had previously spent time in LA and Hollywood and hated it). Just back to Ireland now. Going to be really hard to settle down after all this travelling. Hope to head back out and see the rest of the Americas as soon as I can. Will be following your blog. Best of luck with the travel!
23rd September 2006

Historical Revisionism
Hay Stuart Sue reckons you are re-writing history there! As far as she remembers it was you who wanted to learn to drive. So if you are in San Fransisco what about the Russian Steps? Tales of the City.
24th September 2006

I don't think so!
Not how I remember it. Sue certainly bought the driving lessons. I had no desire to learn to drive and would never have paid for the lessons, (and not just becuase I'm tight with money!) It was a very generous gift - 30 hours of driving lessons amounts to a lot of money. But, the fact remains that Sue bought the lessons because she wanted me to learn. It was a surprise gift. What was I supposed to do? Tell her to demand her money back from the driving school? Refuse to try to learn? So, obviously I went along with what she wanted. I still though felt coerced and manipulated even though she didn't stand over me with a stick forcing me to learn. So, its no historical revisionism. Its just that I know what I thought and felt when Sue sprang the surprise gift of driving lessons. Steps in San Francisco - there are so many of them!

Tot: 0.878s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb