The Conch Republic


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
February 10th 2015
Published: February 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

We made the trip from the Ft. Lauderdale airport to Key West in probably the slowest time on record. No problem with the road or the weather, we just had to make quite a few stops including lunch at a waterside grill on Key Largo. We were going to be staying in a nice hotel downtown just off Duvall Street called The Lighthouse.



I guess you really know you're getting old when you arrive in Key West at 8:00PM and everyone agrees that we would just hang out at the hotel pool and have a couple drinks. Unfortunately, Marilyn was having shortness of breath from the humidity, so it was just as well. Quite the party people we are.



The next day was a different story. We had to pick up our necessary drugs at CVS the next morning. (Yeah, we ARE old) Anyway, Dan has a cold started and we got an inhaler that Marilyn's doctor prescribed for her. After that, Dan, Jan and I headed down to my favorite Key West bar, Capt. Tony's, while Marilyn tried to feel better. It's my favorite because of my affinity for dive bars and also the
Vacation ModeVacation ModeVacation Mode

Having the departure Bloody Mary's.
Jimmy Buffett history there. Jimmy played there back in the 70's and became friends with Capt. Tony, the owner. He also wrote a song about Tony called "Last Mango in Paris," which has become something of a retirement anthem for me. Also, It purports to be the original Sloppy Joe's, where Ernest Hemingway knocked back more than a few during his time here. As usual, there was an excellent guitar player there to entertain us. We settled into a very nice early afternoon buzz when Marilyn called to say that she was feeling better and would meet us there. We enjoyed the music and ambience for a while. After that, we headed down Duvall Street in search of a little afternoon snack. We ended up at a place called Fogarty's and had some peel and eat shrimp and conch fritters. What a great place for people watching.



Somehow, quite quickly, it was getting close to sunset time so Marilyn suggested we go down to Mallory Pier to watch the sunset and it was gorgeous. Having watched the forecast, we knew we would be getting cool weather here, but it was still a beautiful, sunny day with a high in the mid-70's. Not exactly a sh**ty day in paradise, Jimmy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

No Name SculptureNo Name Sculpture
No Name Sculpture

Marilyn giving a spanking.


19th February 2015

Nice sunset!
23rd February 2015
Key West Sunset

Conch Republic
It is always good to be in the Keys. Looks like you are taking it at the right pace. You should head to Cuba (read our blogs). So much Hemmingway history and beautiful people and music. Each some hush puppies for me please.
2nd March 2015

Keys trip
My first time in Keys and really enjoyed it ! Great weather , food , Hemmingway history , roosters in street + colorful people added to experience . Enjoyed the local brew + atmosphere at Captain Tony's [ or as Jan called it : Uncle Ron's ] . Sunset was gorgeous !

Tot: 0.295s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 20; qc: 100; dbt: 0.1532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb