Alaska, Canada and NYC Day 38


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
July 6th 2014
Published: July 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Last full day in NYC. Up relatively early and off to the High Line. This is an old freight rail line that was closed down quite a few years ago. The city and friends of the High Line lobbied to keep a portion of the line and have set it up as an urban garden, refuge, tourist attraction. It runs for 1.7 miles from W30th street to little 12th street. Along the way they have planted grasses and plants along with lots of trees and have a concrete pathway through the middle that you walk through the greenery on. There are parts where they have special blocks of grass, seats with interesting views, a water part and there are even parts where the original tracks have been incorporated I to the path or beside the path. Really interesting to see how close the tracks would have come to the buildings when it was running.

Stop for a drink, icy pole and snickerdoodle (heard of but never had - hmmm - interesting cake, biscuit type eating thing). Get to the end and walk along 14th street back to the subway for midtown. We have tickets to a broadway show this arvo (Book of Mormons). The show starts at 1500. We get into the right area around 1300 so have time for a sit down lunch. Walk past one dude in the street as we are deciding where to eat. He asks where we are from and says that he is like the Big Issue in Melbourne where all proceeds go to help the homeless. Top him and chat for a while - he was very up on where we came from and gave us good info on where to eat - tip home again, high fives, nice guy. He is happy, we are happy.

Off to his recommendation and sit down just in time to see the last 2 points of the men's Wimbledon final. Get to see the presentations and interviews (even if only in sub-text). Eat and I go off to do our last bit of shopping while Chris rests and pays the bill. I have to go through Times Square again so easier if I am by myself.

We each take our theatre tickets and agree to met in the theatre. I get there about 1440 for the 1500 show. Large queue (surprise...) and no Chris insight so I decide to go in. Get to the seats and no Chris. No worries, she has her ticket anyway. Finally she arrives. Seats are very close to the stage (4 rows back and to the left as you face the stage). I have the aisle seat which gives me lots of leg room - ripper.

Show starts and the seats are good, not really craning your necks so that is good, and you can even see the spit from the singers......

Show is very good, lots of singing, dancing and jokes. Tiny theatre which is packed (including the cheap standing room tickets at the back). chat to the people next to us, from Sydney - haha - they have been in NYC for 1 day and leave on Tuesday. They have been to New Mexico for a 9 day yoga holiday - undone in one day in NYC I reckon.

Out of the show and walk back to the apartment. Go past the wine and cheese restaurant that we have seen and tried to get into a few times. This time it is nearly empty so in we go.

Greeted and sat at a table of our choice. Go through the cheese options and wine - select a nice Sangiovese from Italy and give our preferences for cheeses to the server. She passes this to the fromagier who makes up our plate of 4 cheeses. We order more dishes for the other meals. Wine arrives, very nice, then the cheeses arrive. The fromagier tells us what she has chosen for us - 4 cheeses with associated accompiaments. Nice start. Then the other bits arrive. Good choice and not overly heavy so the wait was worth It.

Get back to the apartment, book car for airport tomorrow, wash clothes and go to the roof for a last drink in the apartment while wat hing the sun set over the Hudson River - nice.......

Good night NYC, thanks for the memories.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 45; dbt: 0.122s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb