Day 2: The Long Drive to Boston


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
September 18th 2010
Published: April 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Day 2: Drive to Massachusetts


Pennsylvania



We woke up and had a quick Holiday Inn Express breakfast. Finally, we were on the road. Today we planned to hit more states than any other point in our trip, and it would prove to be one of the longer days. Including Pennsylvania and our destination state of Massachusetts, we would be in 8 different states today. I fixed up a relatively meandering route to help us hit states (like Delaware) we would probably never really have another chance/reason to see.

Maryland



It wasn't long before we hit Maryland. We stopped at a truck stop here and Heather was able to find tons of keychains, mostly for Atlantic Seaboard states, but a few from New England.

Delaware



Hi. We're in Delaware.

Seriously, just kinda drove through.

New Jersey



Instead of taking I-95 through Philly, I decided we'd do the New Jersey Turnpike instead. We were in New Jersey for quite a while, and even stopped there to get gas. I hate to say it, but it was actually kinda nice to have an attendant pump gas for me. It took a little longer than it would have if I had done it, but it was kinda cool just hanging out in the car. And, unexpectedly, the price per gallon was LESS than what we had seen in the other states so far!

(I later found out this was because New Jersey has a lower gas tax than most other states, especially in that area.)

New York



We entered the Empire State near NYC, but purposefully drove around The City to avoid any possible traffic. Specifically we took the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey to the New York State Thruway, and then joined back up with I-95 near the border with Connecticut. As we crossed the Hudson River on the Thruway we were treated to a very brief view of Manhattan in the distance.

Connecticut



The day was getting late as we drove through Connecticut. It actually took a lot longer to cross than you would think looking at the state on a map. By the time we were through with it, the sun was well down.

Rhode Island



We were real tired and just wanted to get on to Massachusetts, but didn't want to miss the opportunity to see the smallest state. Unfortunately we only saw it in the dark! We did visit a WalMart, looking for keychains. As we drove through Providence, the sight of Providence Place, a gigantic mall smack dab in the middle of downtown Providence, called to us, but it was so late and we just wanted to get to the hotel. We both vowed to return sometime to visit (still waiting).

Massachusetts



Not much to say here (yet). We reached our hotel and immediately crashed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

HudsonHudson
Hudson

Missed show of Manhattan.


Tot: 0.159s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0444s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb