US of A


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
May 17th 2009
Published: May 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

US - The start!

The trip from Vancouver Island to Seattle was fine. We checked in for the clipper Catamaran trip an hour early, as requested and our entry through Immigration was processed politely and efficiently. As we are now registered with iris scans and fingerprints, it will be easier for us next time. However the arrival at Seattle was farcical. We waited on the boat until all passengers without luggage were processed, then were led from the warm, dry boat to queue in a rainswept wind tunnel on the edge of the wharf. We spent 45 minutes this way before entering a room , about twice the size of our lounge where our bags and 100 people tried to get dry & warm! We spent another 45 minutes there, before we were interviewed by a customs man and finally released to the rain again to catch a taxi. It all seemed so primitave, just like Zimbabwe was in the 1980's. Why queue in the rain? Why not let us wait in the boat? I don't know, but the locals weren't impressed either, except for a lady with a portable curling iron, who stood in line setting her hair!

The Camlin hotel was fine, well situated and clean. We collapsed into bed, and Sunday set out to explore Seattle. First stop a place for breakfast, then off to Pike Street Market, where we saw the fish throwing fishmongers, the crafts, food and excitement of the area. Peter ate Russian Piroshki and Chinese Pork buns. Heaven was The Pike Seattle Brewing Co, a Microbrewery at the market.

Then off by bus to Chinatown for one of the best dim sum meals we have had at the Harbor Restaurant. The next bus trip (and a walk) too us to the Seattle Center, where the 1962 World Trade Expo was held and home of the Sky Needle. Sandra won't climb things after the Eiffel Tower trip in 2004, so we took in the Experience Music Project (A lot of Jimi Hendrix) and the co-located Science Fiction Museum and Hall of Fame. A great joy for Peter, who relived his youth when he was a great SF fan.

A monorail trip back towards the hotel, a visit to the supermarket to buy food, wine & beer and we collapsed .into bed to watch a procession of Stephen King films on cable.
Guitair statue at the Seattle centerGuitair statue at the Seattle centerGuitair statue at the Seattle center

The Experiential Music Experience was paired with a Sc ience Fiction Museum at the Seattle Center


The biggest difference to home is the huge number of beggars (homeless people) on the streets. I was even abused by one man, for not giving him what he asked for. I think that I have experienced more beggars in two days here than the last two years at home.

Then next day off to SeaTac airport and off to Chicago.

The Windy City - We really enjoyed it.

We travelled into the city on the very efficient train and made it to the hotel in time for dinner at the Thai restaurant attached to the hotel. Then off to the nearest bottleshop to find an astonishing array of single malts. A chat to the man there elaborated that they were a whisky specialist.

The hotel in Chicago was OK, but not great. The one we were recommended was full, hence the travelodge. Our Illinois friends recommended against it, but we survived, despite the proximity to the "el” (the elevated train as featured in the Blues Brothers Film).

Tuesday saw us searching for a suitable venue for Sandy to breakfast and we found a fine place near the PO. As we were near the Sear's Tower, we decided to take the tour of the tallest building in the US. It was worthwhile as we both got to meet Barack (or at least a cardboard replica) and get an idea of the fascinating architecture that is Chicago. The next challenge was to walk up the magnificent mile, north to the 900's.

Then, as I thought that Navy Pier was a good destination, we trekked there. But if any of you ever get to Chicago, don't! Navy Pier was built as an operating waterfront, but fell into disrepair after the 1950's. The Navy had used it as a training facility but it wasn't until the 1990's that it was revived. However we wonder why. The beer garden (at the very end!) was closed and few of the concessions open. We selected the only place available and had the worst lunch we have ever paid for. No more to be said!

A trolley ride back to the main drag and a slow walk home and the day was almost done. Dinner at a great pub (along with a mixed gender and race softball team celebrating the end of season) finished a great day. We decided to do an architecture tour the next day as we were so taken by the varied architecture of the city. It was a fascinating tour and we recommend it to all .

The visit finished with a visit to the parkland and sit in the sunshine and contemplate the Buckingham Fountain.

Our plan was to take an AMTRAK train south, but, as a huge thunder and lightening and rainstorm broke, power was lost. We finally rolled out of Chicago late, but happy. Middle America is alive and well in this city of 7.5 million.

Then the train broke down 30 minutes after leaving Union Station! We waited 2 ½ hours getting to know our fellow passengers as AMTRAK first started to try to repair the engine, finally declared it dead, then sought permission from the bosses to get a new one, and finally connected it all. Then after all this, we started again to move. Unfortunately, passenger trains give way to freight trains, so we spent a lot of time waiting for trains to pass. So, instead of meeting Barry & Deb at Du Quoin at 8.45pm, it was 12.45am!

The next day was spent birdwatching and generally chilling out on their 125ac property at Ava, Southern Illinois. Unfortunately at 1 am we were all awoken by a huge rain and hauil storm, 1 cm hailstones were pelting the windows and skylights. Morning saw some shingles from the roof lifted and some damage to awnings etc. But that was just the start. It continued to rain. Barry went off to work at a big bass fishing competition and we three left generally started the day slowly. At 11 when it got very dark we tuned into the TV weather station and heard of twister weather heading near us. It was dramatic viewing, but some hours later, the storm seem to have passed to the north of us and it appeared clear behind it and the rain eased.

We thought that the danger had passed so Debbie & I set out to see their creek in flood. It was drizzling when we left the house and we found lots of water (where there was usually a trickle) and generally wet conditions. When we got to the creek we found that Rattlesnake Creek had turned into a flooded river and I took some good video of it all. We were starting to walk back at the base of the cliffs, when it really started to bucket down. We took shelter under an overhanging rock shelf and the storm proper struck. It was incredible with trees cracking and crashing and incredible wind force. We were on the edge of a major storm cell, but luckily safe and sound. Very scary, just like cyclonic conditions at home. We later found that the winds were over 100 MPH!

Thank God for my missionary blessing Father John gave me the Sunday before we left home..Debbie & I were taken to the place of safety at just the right time. I am sure that we would have been badly hurt, if not killed if we had been out of the shelter as the storm struck. There was an extraordinary amount of debris and timber on the ground after the storm.

Sandy was left in the house and as were were gone for 2 ½ hours, she started to get worried. Luckily the windows withstood the elements, but not so the roof, and lots of shingles were torn away. As Debbie & I returned to the house, we saw many big trees felled and fallen timber everywhere. We would probably have been killed, or injured, such was the violence of this storm.

Unfortunately the house lost a lot more shingles in the big storm and there was other damage to the surrounds. Thank goodness for insurance. The power was out and still is 48 hours later. The whole of southern Illinois is in a similar condition and trees and power lines are down everywhere. There are houses with roofs off and trees down over houses and barns in a huge area. Power lines are across roads or snapped off by fallen trees and a State of Emergency has been declared.

The afternoon of the storm it all fined up, so we tried to get on with our planned program and drove to Cape Gerardo in Missouri. Travel was difficult, due to the trees across the roads, but we made it. We enjoyed the consignment stores there and ate at a great southern style Cajun Restaurant.

We have been very lucky to have got off so lightly. A carpenter friend of Barry & Deb, Gordon went up onto the roof next morning to replace the shingles and Debbie tried to buy ridge capping at the hardware, but they have no power either and cant get ridge cap for a few days (They have no phones to order them!). This disaster has sadly claimed a number of lives and our current major problem is food, as restaurants also have no power and cannot serve all the hungry people. The freezer is thawing and so on.

We ate breakfast/lunch at a small diner in Ava and drove 30 miles to Sparta to a Chinese for dinner in the evening. They both had power and we took a little power from the Chinese for this laptop to write this. Internet connection is naturally impossible, so this will be sent from home.

We have spent our time checking out homes and feeding pets of absent neighbors and tried to do some nature activities, but struck difficulties with access barred by fallen trees and powewrlines. Despite this my life list of birds is growing and I have some great disater photos. One spot we tried to visit (La Rue Pines) was completely blocked by trees, as the photo shows

There seem to be ongoing problems with power, so on Sunday we drove to Steeleville to have a hot shower and a hot breakfast . Luxury! The lucky people with power, Priscilla & Tony have a great bush block and have done a lot of replanting.

The lack of power continued for the 4th day, but Barry managed to get a generator to keep the freezer and fridge going. The gas BBQ was a great asset and the venison (from their property) goes well in a BBQ. We managed OK, much better than the 10% of people with trees through their roofs! The power of nature is amazing and we can really empathise with the cyclone victims.

The trip home was long, but uneventful with a 2 hour car trip, one hour train trip, 2 hour wait at St Louis airport, fly 4 ½ hours to LA, wait 4 ½ hours, 14 hour flight to Sydney, experience the inadequacies of Sydney airport for 2 ½ hours, fly to Brisbane and Taxi home. A total of 38 hours.

. We will write a final wrap up blog soon.




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

This was normally a small trickleThis was normally a small trickle
This was normally a small trickle

Debbie & Barry's property had substantial rain overnight


Tot: 0.248s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0847s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb