Bonding with Sarah in US of A (2005)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
April 9th 2005
Published: November 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

March 11 Friday





It’s heartbreaking to wake up with young Patricia hugging you tight, hardly letting go. Even before we woke up at 4 am to prepare to leave the house slightly past 5 am, Patricia woke up crying…….not a word , no pleas, just a quiet whimper knowing that Tata Nang and Mamu are leaving for their US holiday. When we actually boarded the van to leave for the airport, Patricia was with her Mom Suzette bravely waving us goodbye. Not long after we left, Suzette sent a text message to inform us that the young girl cried loudly into the green shirt I wore the night before…..Awwww………



A brief stopover in Narita, then we continued with our 16 ½ hour flight to Minneapolis for another 2 hour stopover, before finally taking the nearly 2 hr connecting flight to Washington DC. Sarah had her first glimpse of snow while waiting for our connecting flight in Minneapolis. I kept whispering and teasing her that she is finally on US soil!!! We literally breezed through immigration and customs…..no hassles whatsoever. I think I even managed to smile when my photo was taken by Immigration…. Thank God!



Same day at 4:30 pm, we landed at National / Reagan Airport in DC. While we phoned and emailed Ricky that Dodie and company will pick us up at the airport, there he was at the airport waiting for us! Sarah ended up riding with Ricky while I rode with the Paynors on the way to Dulles Airport where Isabel will take her plane for SFO to spend her spring break with mom and Gabriel. In no time, we were headed for Annandale, Virginia where the Paynors live. Mia’s pet dog, Millie Paynor, welcomed us. For dinner, we feasted on the Maryland blue crabs and oysters Ricky brought and shucked himself. I bet Ricky had regrets he brought oysters he had to shuck himself….Ellen Sinon and Agnes Thomas joined us for dinner.



March 12 Saturday





Not about to waste any time, all 5 of us ---Manny, Dodie, Mia, Sarah and myself---started on our Washington DC tour with White House as the 1st stopover. Front and back views of the imposing White House including the Lafayette Square sans the tulips…. Then off to our first Popeye lunch before proceeding to Jefferson Memorial , the ‘buried’ sculptures in Haines Point, the gravesites of JFK, Jackie O and the unknown soldier in Arlington Memorial for more pictures. Sarah’s first leg of her USA tour. Braving the cold, we were all wrapped up for photos in these historical monuments……. As Mayette puts it, “winter na winter and dating ni Ate Sarah”.



Dinner was with the ‘Vienna Group’ composed of Agnes , Ellen and husband Rudy, Lally and daughter Michelle, and another couple I can’t recall now. This was to celebrate Dodie’s big 5-oh in this Doubletree Resto at the penthouse with a panoramic view of the capital city. This sumptuous dinner started Sarah and I on a series of clam chowders from state to state….


March 13 Sunday




We heard mass at the Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Mother . Then, some Sunday shopping…………Sarah is introduced to Target, Marshalls, etc.


March 14 Monday




My first guided tour of Washington DC for Sarah……Manny drove us to Capitol Hill for some snapshots with the Capitol in the background. Then we got off at Lincoln Memorial for the start of our “walking tour”. It’s really a good walk. And I do love walking (in good weather of course) . There are too many movies made with DC sites but I remember one in particular. Was that Pelican Brief starring Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts? There you are. Watch the movie to find out for sure!



From Lincoln Memorial, we proceeded to walk towards the mall. Passed by the Korean Memorial, missed the Vietnam Memorial, found instead the Pacific War Memorial where we found a slab of stone with Philippines engraved on it….. then walked some more to Smithsonian’s National Air and Space. This time, I asked Sarah to go around by herself while I cooled my heels in the Museum’s food court. Ate a hearty salad and a cup of brewed coffee. Then, we went to Hirstschorn (is that it?) Museum where we were impressed with some Rodin sculptures right on its open air garden. Then, we walked across the Museum of Natural History to meet “our oldest relatives”…..the apes, and some other stuffed animals, along with the dinosaur skeleton and all. We also took the chance to check out the Gems, y’know, this big diamond stone, and this big ruby and this big emerald. Etc. etc. By the time Manny picked us up, we were done and out.



Dodie turned 50 today….some Golden Girl!!!! Welcome to the Club! What was originally planned as a simple affair turned out to be not so simple after all. What a feast! The entire Vienna Group came ---- Ellen and husband Rudy, together with their daughter Eileen and manugang, then there’s Agnes, Senen and husband, Arlene and husband, Lally and daughter , etc. Ricky came later to pick us up . The plan was to let us sleep in Maryland and wake up Tuesday for the shorter trip to Baltimore where Sarah and I were to take our flight for Boston.



Though feeling jetlagged still and tired after the whirlwind weekend in DC, we arrived in a pleasant and nicely appointed suite in Annapolis’ Naval Academy’s Guesthouse. Ricky booked us in this century - old guesthouse for the night and we felt like it was such a waste that we can only stay in this place for a few hours of sleep.



March 15 Tuesday: Off to Boston





Woke up early enough to take some photos of the Naval Academy. Remember the movie “Patriots” and so many other Jack Ryan movies? This was supposed to be the academy where the low key Jack Ryan supposedly taught. Tom Clancy, the author, has this really goodlooking house on a big sprawling estate in Annapolis. This author must have a lot of navy friends to know so much about military strategies, submarines, etc. No wonder his books have such details pertaining to military installations, hardware, etc.



The plane trip to Boston was uneventful. Sarah and I arrived safely, on schedule, at the Logan Airport and took the free hotel shuttle around lunchtime. Soon after we checked in and dropped our bags, Sarah and I were on a roll…….touring Boston and checking the SNOW! Oh yes, there’s still some of that melting snow in Boston Common Park where we started on the brick lined Freedom Trail. Boston is so tourist - friendly that one hardly needs a map or a tour book to check out the major attractions in Boston. I’m told the Freedom Trail is some 4 kms from end to end, but Sarah and I managed the ‘walk’ and enjoyed the sites. From the park, we headed to the 18th century Massachusetts State House, Old South Meeting House , the Granary Burying Ground, the Old State House, City Hall, Faneuil Hall and the Quincy North and South Markets where we found the Cheers bar and the Boston Rocks Bar. We even tried to do the Paul Revere House but it was closed by the time we got there. The North End’s Little Italy with its many Italian bistros bragging the best pasta and tiramisu is quite a sight. Also tried the oldest restaurant in America --- the Union Oyster House ---- for a seafood sampler , fish and chips and some beer. No to clam chowdah this time. The bartender named James was replaced by someone named Santiago, which is the equivalent of James in Spanish. Both are very friendly, and Sarah and I enjoyed our time at the Bar. Before heading home, we took a sunset view of the harbor just off the Aquarium………(Postscript: It’s great to view these sights again while watching “National Treasure” starring Nicholas Cage)


March 16 Wednesday: Harvard and Cambridge





An early start, a good hearty breakfast, and Sarah and I whisked out of the hotel , took the free hotel shuttle to the nearest subway station (which Bostonians call the “T”) and on to explore more sights! This time, we covered Cambridge, just a bridge away from the city of Boston. Wandered around Harvard Yard (sight of Legally Blonde, Patricia’s favorite movie) and had good photos in the snow-covered yard. Even went inside the Stately Memorial Church right in Harvard University, to check out the many names of Harvard grads who perished in the War. For a real honest to goodness “feel” of the university, Sarah and I went to the Harvard Cafeteria for lunch. Too many Harry Potter look-alikes around. Sarah’s best photos “in the snow” were taken here. All wrapped up good for a real winter feeling, many shots were taken in the Yard and around the campus. The Statue of John Harvard or the Statue of 3 lies was there -----what is it again about the lies? That the Statue was not that of John Harvard is one. Can’t recall the other 2 lies. But that is one major lie already, huh!



Sarah and I made good time today. After spending the morning and lunchtime in Harvard, we took the T to Copley Square to view the …….well, the Square, with the lovely Trinity Church and City Library across. If Harvard is a university place, Copley Square or this part of Boston is more cosmopolitan. For a reclaimed area, not bad at all. We took the T back to the station where our hotel shuttle was waiting. Y’know, I’d recommend this hotel even if it’s in a “bad” location. Quality Inn offers good spacious room (we had a queen bed each) and breakfasts. The shuttle makes up for the poor location. It gets you into the nearest T station and it offers free airport transfers. If you need a hotel just to have a good comfortable place to sleep in that will not cost you a fortune, try Quality Inn. I mean, for $360 air and hotel package for Sarah and myself, who’s complaining?



March 17, Thursday




Three days, 2 nights in Boston. A whole day spent in Harvard and Copley Square. An afternoon doing the Freedom Trail. Sitting by the bar at Union Oyster House. Taking the T . Snapshots at Cheers and Boston Rocks. Snow at Boston Common Park and Harvard Yard. We’ve done good time. And we’re ready to board our plane back to Baltimore, Maryland .


Ricky was waiting for us at the Baltimore Airport when we landed. Took us back to the Naval Guesthouse for another night, but in an even better suite! Wow, are we impressed! This suite is truly a General’s suite, complete with an impressive-looking office desk . Ricky took us to this Chinese restaurant for a buffet dinner so Sarah can try crawfish. Naturally, I stuck to the oysters. Some dinner. Despite the walking tour of Boston , and many late nights, Sarah and I didn’t sleep right away when we got back to the suite in the Guesthouse. Which is not at all bad….as we enjoyed our room this time around. Finally, Sarah and I fell asleep but separately --- she in the living room, I in the bedroom. We each had our TVs on.



March 18, Friday




We checked out of the Guesthouse in Annapolis Naval Academy in the morning. Ricky then toured us around the small town, passing by Tom Clancy’s sprawling estate once more, and to the small pier. We found Buddy’s Crabs near the pier and took our crabcake sandwiches there. Ricky made sure I had more oysters too. Lovely lunch , lovely view. We saw some cyclists meeting by the pier ---- we wonder where they are off to this morning? We like Annapolis. It’s small and manageable. It’s quaint, has a lovely pier, small bistros and boutiques selling home made chocolate bricks (not bars, but bricks!) , old English townhouses.


Passed by the Johns Hopkins Hospital (yes, Johns with an s) on our way out of Annapolis towards Pennsylvania to look for an Amish community. Ricky made our dream come true. We can’t help saying though that the Amish disappoint us. It’s a long drive. We expected more, I guess. Now we know that the Amish live without electricity and telephones and cars……..though they go to Walmart, use cellphones OUTSIDE the house, RIDE but not DRIVE cars, etc. So much for being Amish. We had this buggy ride which must have cost Ricky…… good enough for photoshots.



Ricky drove us back to Annandale in time for dinner with the Paynors. Jun and wife Tess, together with their balaes, the Cias, were
Sarah and LibertySarah and LibertySarah and Liberty

At 10 degrees celsius........brrrr.....
there. Tess’ auntie was with the group too. They will join us the following day for the weekend in New York.


March 19, Saturday: New York




Early start for New York. Jun drove one car, while we rode with Manny driving the other car. I have to give it to these Paynor brothers …..they’re such good drivers and they love to drive! They make for such wonderful travel companions….


Reached New York well before lunch in the ConGen’s Residence in the $10,000 a month unit in Trump Tower beside the UN Building. There was time to visit the Empire Estate Building before lunch. We paid for the touristy ride and took photos at the top where the entire NY skyline awaits us. By the time we were done, we were hungry and ready for Cecille’s hearty feast complete with NY cheesecake. . ConGen Cecille Rebong is so accommodating. Her well appointed unit affords such a lovely view of the Manhattan skyline and looks down at UN Building. While enjoying lunch, we can see the Chrysler Bldg looming large in the wide glass windows. That was one extended lunch. After the long drive, the ride to the top of what was once the tallest building in the world, we found ourselves so relaxed in the pricey condo unit where our ConGen resides. We caught ourselves out of the spell so as not to extend our welcome, but also with time to spend to go to Battery Park’s Clinton Tower for a ticket to Liberty Island. Unfortunately, they “cut” the line and excluded us. Good thing Dodie suggested we simply take the ferry that goes around ( no getting off ) the Island if only so we can see the Statue of Liberty up close. Which is exactly what we did. That explains Sarah’s photo shoots with the Lady. Just remember that it was almost ice cold while we were taking those snapshots. I can hardly press the camera shutter with my frozen fingers!



Then we strolled from Battery Park down Wall Street, past Trinity Church, towards Ground Zero. It was hard to listen to Amb. Jun Paynor’s Ground Zero briefing while eyeing the bargain department store right across the street. We did go in the store, though to pee and not to shop……



Had dinner at this burger joint. There were 2 complaining ladies (Dodie and Tess) who thought a Chinese dinner in Chinatown is a more interesting option…..but the Paynor brothers prevailed. The Chinatown meal will have to wait for tomorrow. There was time though to park and walk towards Rockefeller Center before calling it a night. There were teens skating in the temporary skating rink in the Center. This time, Sarah pleaded to go back early the next morning to watch the Today Show! With Manny agreeing to drive us to the Center as early as 6 am, how can I refuse?



March 20, Sunday: Early to Rise!





Early to rise…….get on the car to be dropped off at Rockefeller Center. Sarah and I had our bagels and coffee at Dean and Delucca (??? Is that it????) at this wide glass window facing the Today Show area. Well, we didn’t really have to be out there in that freezing weather. We waited a good hour ---- no regrets being early , if only for this choice seating where we can see everyone and everything happening during the show. So, this is what we see on TV…..



Then, we
NY's ConGen's ResidenceNY's ConGen's ResidenceNY's ConGen's Residence

With Amb. Cecille Rebong, Amb. Jun Paynor with wife Tessie, and the Sias.
walked towards the corner right past Rockefeller Center to hear mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Sarah and I ended up hearing 2 masses. We were so blessed to be included in the entourage for the Palm Sunday procession. Don’t know and can’t explain how we got included….we were just standing there and before we knew it, this lady was saying we’re so lucky to be walking down the church aisle for the procession.



After Palm Sunday Mass, we met up with the Paynors and Cias once more for a drive to Marie’s Alma Mater, St. Vincent’s. Same school as ex President Cory’s. Then off to Chinatown for a most coveted lunch. Sarah found the chance to meet up with her old friend and classmate from elementary days. Maybe just 10 or so minutes, and in the rain. But enough time for long lost friends.


We drove back to Annandale after lunch. This ends Sarah’s New York experience……


March 21, Monday





Was it all the walking? The lack of sleep? Whatever… Sarah and I just went lazy the whole day. We went out only to do a bit of shopping in the nearby Target, Ross and Marshalls. Manang Gilda drove us to the shops and picked us up after a couple of hours. The Paynors and Cias went out for the day. Oh, not to forget……..we went to that same old Peking Duck place for dinner with everyone plus Isabel!!! Now, Sarah understands why I never fail to eat in this place each time I visit DC.



March 22, Tuesday





The Paynors are leaving DC today. Saw them off early morning, then joined Manny and Dodie on their way to work. We visited Dodie’s office --- the World Bank--- got our Ids, and then met Tiny for breakfast at the cafeteria. After breakfast, we walked towards White House once more, passing by the lovely square where more photos were taken. Tiny and I had our picture taken right in front of the White House.



Then we took the bus for Georgetown. Walked towards the waters, strolled towards Watergate Hotel….yes, that famous Nixon waterloo. Manny picked us up in Georgetown and dropped us off at the Potomac Mall where we had lunch, and then shopping. What do you know…….Sarah and I surprised ourselves! WE found some good stuff and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Tiny enjoyed her shopping as well. By the time we were dragging our feet, Manny and Dodie were there to pick us up. We dropped off Tiny in this other mall where Reza, her husband , can fetch her. Then, we had our dinner with the Paynors. Back in the house, we got ready to pack our suitcases with the new stuff we just bought.


Hmmmm, the stuff fit. Not another shirt or another jacket more, but it fit.


March 23, Wednesday: Los Angeles, Baby!




Our flight to Los Angeles has a brief stopover in Detroit. Flight was delayed so that by the time we reached LA, there was no time to do our 1st short tour of Hollywood with Romy who picked us up at the airport and drove us to Annie and Raul’s new house in San Pedro. Raul was home and ready with our Popeye dinner. Hmm….missed it. Annie came later that night, just in time before Romy had to leave to drive back to Northridge. Raul inflated our bed for the night where Sarah and I flopped ourselves and crashed.



March 24, Thursday





Annie drove us around Los Angeles. Hollywood. Sunset Blvd. Chinese Mann Theatre. Beverly Hills Hotel. Rodeo Drive. Kodak Theatre. We even saw Sandra Bullock!!!! Of course, Annie didn’t fail to bring us to her favorite Cheesecake Factory for a sumptuous lunch of Mahi Mahi and spicy squid. Driving along the Pacific Coast, we had our fill of the great ocean. By the time we got home, we were spent. While Annie and I went for the Thursday mass at her parish, Sarah just slept it out in Cara Place, San Pedro.





March 25, Friday: Long Beach




It’s Good Friday. Annie promised to drive us to Kuya Endo’s house in Long Beach but not without touring us around Redondo Beach to try their crabs, oysters, shrimp, etc. We had fun just walking on the boardwalk. The lunch was a feast! Yummy, indeed.

Then Annie brought us to Long Beach Shoreline Village and the San Pedro Seafood Market. We were still happily driving around when Kuya Endo called to ask where we were. On that note, Annie promptly brought us to Long Beach to meet up with the Gonzagas. And that’s how we spent Good Friday.



March 26, Saturday: San Diego




Alina and her husband picked us up at Long Beach for the drive down to San Diego. We stopped for Chinese lunch somewhere, then met up with Froila, Cho, Jordan and Nanette in Froi’s house. Danny and Belen joined us for dinner while Sarah went off for a sleepover in Alina’s house. It was quite a reunion.



March 27 , Easter Sunday




Alina brought Sarah back to join me for Easter Sunday mass then lunch with the Lims. Had buffet lunch at Todai, same buffet place we tried the year before with Oddie .



March 28, Easter Monday: Las Vegas




Nanette and Sheila drove us to the city center to take our Greyhound bus for Las Vegas. It was more than 6 hours this time with stopover at Quizmo’s . Traffic right in Las Vegas was real bad. The Industrial Road should be widened, or there’s got to be alternate roads.


We got off the bus at the end of the Strip and simply walked to our Sahara Hotel. No fuzz checking in. Thank goodness for Annie who got us booked online. The room was spacious and had big beds! Sarah wasn’t feeling well so I let her sleep through the night. Better rested and miss out on the sights, than sick……




March 29, Tuesday




Thank God Sarah’s feeling better now. We took the trolley for the ride along the whole stretch of the The Strip. First, we got off at Circus, Circus for Sarah to view in awe how in heaven’s name they were able to put up this entire roller coaster inside the hotel. This time, without the grandchildren, there was no reason for us to stay for the clowns’ magic act. Then, we walked a bit towards Treasure Island’s Pirates of the Carribean , but there was no show because of the winds. Instead, we viewed the volcano at the Mirage.


After this “preview” of Las Vegas, we took the trolley again for the ride all the way down to Mandalay Bay. We must have missed the wedding of Jodi Sta Maria to Pampi Lacson by just a day or two. I bet the bridal entourage is still billeted in this grand hotel when we went strolling in. From there, we tried Luxor to view the glass pyramid ….then lunch at Excalibur . Sure we’re adults, but who can resist being in a castle in man made Camelot complete with Sir Arthur and Lancelot wannabees? After lunch, we crossed over the wide Tropicana Road towards New York, New York and MGM Hotel. Then we took the trolley again back for the center of the The Strip. Bellagio, Caesar’s Palace, Paris, Bally’s where we took the trolley back for Sahara. A tiring day, not to mention an episode which I dare not cite in this journal. But Sarah and I spent this day well, visiting as many places as we can.


March 30, Wednesday: Back to LA




Time to take the bus back to LA. We had a sumptuous buffet breakfast at Sahara, before taking a taxi to the Greyhound Station. While waiting at the station, I asked Sarah to walk around the “old part of Las Vegas” for a last glimpse of the place. Of course, we passed the Golden Nuggets Hotel on the taxi ride to the station. Now, Sarah knows where Martin Nievera used to hold nightly shows in Las Vegas.


When we got to the LA Station, my inaanak Rosalie was there waiting for us. We slept another night in Long Beach and bonded with our much missed Gonzagas.



March 31, Thursday




Spent another lazy day in Long Beach. In the morning, we walked around the village with Meriel and Madison. Maxwell is kinda shy, the complete opposite of Merle Jr or MJ who at less than a year old is proving to be quite an entertainer. Well, he gets his lessons from Madison, I bet.


From Long Beach, Annie picked us up for the drive to this Chinese buffet dinner with Weng and Gabriel. After dinner, we joined Weng in the ride back to Westin Plaza Hotel in Pasadena , our home for the next 2 nights. When Westin Plaza advertises “heavenly beds”, take their word for it. These beds are truly, truly heavenly!!!!




April 1, Friday




Today , we went to Universal Studios. Certainly not my first trip, but it’s something to share the experience again and again with someone who’s going there and seeing it all for the first time.

We did ALL except only the Blues Brothers and the Animal Show. . I’m sure Sarah enjoyed Waterworld, Jurassic Park, Backdraft, Shrek, Return of the Mummy, the studio tour, etc. We had dinner at the Citywalk with Bebeth and family.



April 2, Saturday





Chic and Danny fetched us for lunch at Japan Town. We feasted on so much sushi displayed on this conveyor belt , teasing us all to try them. It took some degree of resistance to say no . Still, we found time for coffee at Starbucks, if only to find a place where we can freely chat and talk about the good old times. Before going home to the hotel, we passed by the church where Lea Salonga got married to pray and say our respects for the dearly beloved Pope John Paul II who passed away .


From the hotel, we went to Bebeth’s place for dinner. Romy Ramirez joined us for dinner. Whoa, when does the eating stop?


April 3, Sunday




Checked out after breakfast and drove to Hearst Castle. This hodge podge of a castle is one for the books. Very Hollywood. Very confused. We had lunch there after the tour.. before heading back along the Pacific Coast towards our next home for the next so many days, in SFO.



April 4, Monday




Designated the official tour guide of Sarah in the next few days, we acted out the parts of guide and tourist (and photographer). Coit Tower, Ghirardelli Square, Cable Car Ride, Lombard’s Crookedest St., Fisherman’s Wharf.


April 5, Tuesday




Lunch with my Maryknoll friends Marite and Binglo. These 2 girls fetched me in the morning for the drive down to Sta Cruz where Jack , the husband, and Jake, the dog, were waiting for us. Jack whipped up a salad and grilled lamb chops for us. Of course, Bing is a vegetarian , so Marite got her a veggie sandwich from Heavenly Café which they run. Marite even surprised us with her crème brulee. Yum. Nice to be with my long time friends again. Too bad Sarah failed to join us in this outing.



April 6, Wednesday




Was it today when Armin fetched us and drove to Tita Mining’s house in San Jose? Armin also brought us to San Jose’s famous ……….A house with so many rooms but only 1 bathroom? Oh wow. It’s a crazy house… so many doors that opened up to nowhere. Zigzag stair patterns that lead nowhere. Crazy. From the outside, it looks real good though. Hard to imagine the house sits right smack in the center of a commercial area.



April 7, Thursday




A day spent with Oddie who fetched us to have a crab lunch in their Hayward house. Went to Mystery Spot after that, where we found so many things that simply defy conventions and the law of gravity….Then a dinner in this famous steakhouse I can’t recall now.


April 8, Friday




May flew in today from Texas, in time to see Sarah before Sarah flies back home tomorrow. We picked her up and was she surprised to see Sarah all grown up (?) and matured at 30 something years. After all, May left Philippines for good way back in the ‘70s. Mario arrived also from Dallas….and we dined in this Thai place as despedida for Sarah. May ended up sleeping in Lake Street with us.


April 9, Saturday




Sarah’s departure day. May and Mario came with me to the airport to see Sarah off. Then we brought May to the ferry station for the ferry to Vallejo.















Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 38


Advertisement

Missing PhilippinesMissing Philippines
Missing Philippines

Not Miss Philippines..........
Oldest Resto or Bar?Oldest Resto or Bar?
Oldest Resto or Bar?

Loved the oysters here.........


Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0496s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb