Can Arkansas be the highlight of today?


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
October 30th 2008
Published: October 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Last night we stayed in Yukon, Oklahoma at a Best Western. Shout out to Judy who was so helpful to us. We ate dinner at InterUrban restaurant (much like an Outback Steakhouse). It was really good. I (Kathy) had a Oinkie Pig sandwich which was their specialty and Debbie had a hamburger that they make fresh. We figured that we should eat some home grown food and we’re glad we did.

Debbie is driving this morning….driving me crazy too. She rags on me for getting on to her about the way she talks, but let me tell you, she doesn’t know the difference between a pond and a lake or a hill and a mountain. We’re going to have to make her take the GED all over again when we return home.

We’re in the process of writing a song about this trip. Any tune suggestions? We figure Hillary can publish it and make a million-gajillion dollars from it. We don’t really care about becoming famous, but would appreciate a percentage of the profits. You think she’ll go for that?

We stopped at a rest area in Arkansas and they had stainless steel toilets. I, myself, have seen those before, but since Debbie is not as worldly as me, it was a new experience for her. She wonders if they use toilet bowl cleaner or steel wool. Also, she wonders if they were put in after Bill Clinton became president just to show the prestige of the state. Hmmm.

The eastern part of Oklahoma and Arkansas are beginning to look a lot like Georgia and we’re seeing some fall color.

By the way, if you like to frequent rest stops like we do, be assured there are many along the highway in Arkansas, but hardly anything but picnic areas in Texas. Practice your kegels long before you start out across that big state.

We’ve had a couple of near misses with Pearl wanting a kiss from another car, but no hugs yet. We’re trying to keep her on the straight and narrow. She’s really a jewel to us.

We’ve thought about playing car games, like alphabet and cow poker but just can’t get any excitement up about doing that. Anyone have any suggestions . (I’m really grasping at things to talk about, aren’t I?) We’re bored.

We’re planning on spending the night near Memphis tonight. We’re nixing Tunica since she wasn’t helpful to us at all.

Deb takes over blogging, can't let Kathy have the last word........(don't worry we have parked Pearl for the night)

We slide onto an exit taking us into Russellville, AK as lunchtime approaches. There is a beautiful lake prior to our exit so we hope to find something delicious. And……we did…..Stoby’s. It is situated in an old depot with part of the dining in railroad cars. It had a lot of charm but more importantly the food was yummy. Kathy opted for a healthy turkey sandwich, and I decided to compare lunch to last night’s hamburger. No alcohol served, so we were 88 and out the gate. Stoby’s is actually renowned for its cheese dip, they even sell it in stores so think of us if you purchase some. www.stobys.com
Don’t know what has gotten into Kathy but I get to drive the whole way today. Still on I-40 east so it’s hard to get lost.

ReShout outs to Julia and Ryan, new friends we met along the way. thanks for commenting on our blog. Keep em comin'.

We have arrived at our destination, a really nice Holiday Inn in West Memphis. We will dine in tonight, head out in the morning on back roads to my Mom’s house in LaFayette, GA. This will be an education for Kathy and give her some insight into why I don’t know the difference between a pond and a lake (would y’all give me that definition please?). I am hoping the leaves will still be pretty because those GA mountains are special to me. Happy Trails…
D and K




Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb