Niagara, Toronto and Chicago


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States
June 16th 2007
Published: June 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Days 7-12 (by Iain)

So, here's what we've been up to this week; Last weekend was spent in Niagara which was a fantastic little ghost town on the American side of the border and our hostel was run by a crazy wee Chinese woman who couldn't stop helping us. Through several conversations I think her husband (dead or not: I couldn't figure out) was Scottish. Still, the Falls were pretty cool- there's three of them in total and wee had a good wee walk down beside the Niagara River. Whilst there we also met an English couple who gave us free Spaghetti one night and came drinking with us in Toronto. Which is where we went next.

Toronto was okay. I guess we didn't know quite what to do despite a lengthy e-mail from Joe about the area- so we walked about. We walked down by the pier-which was nice but frustratingly there was a lack of places to go swimming. We stayed in Toronto for three nights in a very cramped wee hostel. Our room was long and dark and there was an incredibly hairy ogre (not Pete Sampras) way down the other end who never left his bed in 4 days. We went for several drinks whilst there, in more Irish pubs. Why so many?! Half them are only Irish in name! Yes, and we accidentally stumbled upon the gay district which has nightclubs like Lube and The Steamworks - fortunately we left the city just as Gay Pride Week was to begin.

And then we went to Chicago, where we spent the whole of yesterday wandering about but seeing cool stuff. We got in really early while the city was still quite quiet and saw a big kidney bean shaped sculpture that reflects everything- that was cool. We also went up the 4th highest building in America (John Hancock it's called) as it apparently has better view than the Sears. And finally after days of searching we found a beach and a place to swim although Ben was more comfortable with the old English tradition of dipping his toes in.

And so today (Saturday) we are just about to head off to St. Louis where we can take a tour of the Budweiser factory- and it's free. Having problems renting cars though. Hmm.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb