Yellowstone National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming
July 18th 2014
Published: July 18th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our first stop in Wyoming was Devil's tower, a rock formation that stands a little over 900 feet high. It formed about 3 million years ago, when magma from and underground volcano hardened, and over time the earth eroded around it. We climbed the big rock pile to the base of the tower and enjoyed the view. The next day we headed into Yellowstone, and scored a campsite where you usually have to book at least a year in advance. Our first stop was Hayden Valley, a hotspot for wildlife, where we saw big elk, coyotes, and a huge heard of Bison and their young that crossed the road right in front of us. The second stop was the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone where we saw the gorgeous Upper and Lower falls at Artist Point, and the Yellowstone river raging 300 feet below. On our way back we saw a black bear feeding on a bison carcass. Day two in Yellowstone we saw the Old Faithful geyser erupt, and the vibrantly colored Grand Prismatic spring. We went swimming down the rapids in Firehole River, and practically took a walk on the moon at Norris Geyser Basin at dusk. All in all Yellowstone was amazing, and we're looking forward to Jackson Hole.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0828s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb