Yellowstone National Park Part 2, Wyoming USA


Advertisement
Published: September 3rd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today was a big day. It was our second day in Yellowstone National Park and we had some big hikes. First went down this zig-zag path to get near a waterfall. The waterfall was very pretty and noisy. It was a very bright shade of the blue, but at the top it was really dark. You could see where the waterfall started all the way down the canyon. On the way back up we saw a big dandelion flower because it was not near the railing.

Then on the way to go to our next hike, we saw elk. They were really cool. They kind of look like a deer, but they are not. They were just standing on the side of the road eating. So, when we got to the parking lot for the next hike, my dad was putting somethings together. One of those things was Bear Spray, which is basically powerful pepper spray. By mistake, my dad opened the safety pin of the bear spray and it sprayed all over his leg pants. Also his nose and lips started burning for a couple minutes. After that we went down a bunch of stairs, a LOT of stairs to get closer to the bottom of the same waterfall. It was really cool because we saw a rainbow. The hard part of this hike was walking back up.







Then we did a really big hike along the canyons edge. We took a lot of pictures of the view which was really nice. When we were going back we made a joke about a tilting tree and Vitor went on it and I was faking that I was trying to hold it up.

When we got back to our car we took a long drive to go to site that is famous for animal viewing. While we were driving we got out of the car to see a bunch bison. They were really big. They were basically buffaloes. They were really pretty to me. The bison were so cute when they were sitting down.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Then we went to a short hike to Trout Lake. The hike has a lot of pretty flowers. I finally got to get and blow the big dandelions. Usually you cannot see the trout near the shore, but I was able to see one. We went back to the campsite and ate dinner at a restaurant there. Another night of camping in Yellowstone....



Daddy's Comments:

Wow, what a day of hiking, waterfalls, and wildlife. I must explain the bear spray. Yes, having bear spray is a good idea for some of the camping/hiking we were doing this trip. However, somehow when changing the spray from my left side to my right side, the safety pin fell out and it sprayed. I was very lucky for it to get just my leg (yes, you can see the orange stain on a few of the pics) and just a little must have come into contact with my lips and nose as for the hike down Uncle Tom's Trail my lips and nose was burning. For the rest of the trip, everytime I took of my shoes I coughed and would taste capsiacin (pepper in bear spray). So, now Vitor and Sofia were not sure which was more dangerous.....bears or me with bear spray. Probably the latter.

Sofia also did a first on this day (and wanted me to explain not her). By Trout Lake, she for the first time, did number 2 behind a tree. I would have said something differently of course, but this is her blog. Dad was prepared, Vitor served as look out and all went well.

It was a great day of hiking, wildlife and incredible waterfalls. A few more sites to see the following morning in Yellowstone, and then I was very excited to finally see Ania.....

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Accommodations: Camping - Canyon Campground

Hikes: Brink of the Lower Falls 1.5 miles

Uncle Tom's Trail - 0.5 miles 328 steps

South Rim Trail - 2 miles Uncle Toms's Trail to Artist Point and return

Trout Lake - 0.5 miles

Sites: Grand Canyon of Yellowstone - Upper and lower falls

Lamar Valley

Trout Lake

Wildlife: Bison, Elk

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________



______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Additional photos below
Photos: 97, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Making a WishMaking a Wish
Making a Wish

Hike to Trout Lake
Uncle Tom's TrailUncle Tom's Trail
Uncle Tom's Trail

Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
Huge DandelionHuge Dandelion
Huge Dandelion

Hike to Trout Lake
Bison - Lamar ValleyBison - Lamar Valley
Bison - Lamar Valley

Sofia's favorite Bison Pic


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.039s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb