Finishing Up Yellowstone


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Our first day in Canyon village was a treat for me as Ed and Alan agreed to take the kids to a Junior Ranger program while Shannon, Nancy and I got to go hiking. We took off early and had the trails mostly to ourselves. We drove the North Rim of the Canyon and took hikes down to the waterfalls at all available spots. It was beautiful and magical and we all just enjoyed the scenery, each other, the birds, the flowers and the morning. Yellowstone Canyon and Falls is definitely my favorite place in the park and it was great to see it his way.

We met up with the guys and kids at Artist Point and then took the South Rim Trail to see the other side of the Canyon. The kids all made it down 384 steps to the bottom of the Lower Falls but the way back way a bit of a challenge for all of us. After that, the kids were spent and just wanted to relax and hang out at the campground (which was fine by us as well). The set up their mini tents. Danielle and Nicole opened up a rock shop after they collected their rocks, Jacquelyn and Michelle opened up a craft shop for picture frames, Nancy took a very long nap, I prepared dinner and we all just did the hang out thing. We shopped in the village and roasted s’mores at our campfire and ate yummy pasta and had a good time before we went to bed.

The next morning was my turn at babysitter while the others hiked Mt. Washburn. We had an artist morning and I took the kids to the falls to paint and color. We had lunch at the soda shop and then the girls just wanted to go back to the campsite and listen to music and dance. It was a pretty uneventful morning all in all. The others had a great hike with great views (and some snow) but were joined by biting flies on the way down so they made good time getting back to the campground.

We all cleaned up and journeyed up to Roosevelt area for our Horse rides/wagon rides and chuck wagon dinner. Shannon opted out having done this with me 19 years ago and spent a quiet evening by herself. Alan and I took the older kids on a horse back ride to the event while Nancy and Ed got to be bounced on the wagon. It was a beautiful ride and a lot of fun. We traveled into a valley and to a camp set up for the event. The others joined us after a bit and we ate decent food (Jacquelyn rang the bell for all to come and get it) and played in the creek until it was time to leave. I think the horses were a little more fun than the wagon (Ed would agree) but it was a fun evening for all.

The next morning was pull out day and the Beaulieu’s got up for their 6:30 start to Jackson to return the RV, check into a hotel for an evening, and get their rental car. We woke up and moved the RV (with kids asleep) down to Colter Bay in the Grand Tetons for our next stop.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0855s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb