Mammoth Hot Springs


Advertisement
Published: August 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The temperature overnight was in the mid 30’s. Boy does it get cold up here. After breakfast we headed to explore the upper loop of Yellowstone. We stopped at the Sulfur Caldron (pretty stinky) before heading to the Upper and Lower Falls of the Yellowstone River. We were in a cloud for awhile in the morning, but it cleared up as the day went on. We saw a bunch of people on the side again, this time looking at another pack of wolves - this time we did see them. We saw Tower Falls and then continued on to Mammoth Hot Springs. I was really disappointed with what I saw. Having been here before, 27 years ago, I remember that there was water running over the terraces and the colors were fantastic. Today mostly all the terraces were dried up and white or gray.

While driving toward Norris, I saw a wolf in the brush on the side of the road. All it takes is for one car to stop and next thing you know, you have a traffic jam. Everybody wants to see the wildlife here. A while later we had more buffalo in the street. We stopped to watch as 2 motorcycles were headed right for them. Finally a car heading the other way tooted his horn and the buffalo moved off the street. I think we finally have had enough buffalo sightings this trip.

We tried to find cell phone service so we could send our last two blogs, but no such luck. We did see a coyote though in our travels. We stopped at Fishing Bridge and were able to take showers - they only charge you $3.25 for a shower here - can you believe it?

Our resident buffalo in the park came into our neighbor’s site and then was standing right in front of our site. I stayed put waiting for him to move along - which he did after a few minutes.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Tower FallsTower Falls
Tower Falls

This was the longest falls I think we saw
My close encounter with a buffaloMy close encounter with a buffalo
My close encounter with a buffalo

We had to stop in the roadway and this buffalo was right outside my windo in the van
Not sure what kind of birdNot sure what kind of bird
Not sure what kind of bird

Help Ken - I need to know what kind of bird - A pena-something?


Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0236s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb