Day 7 - Cody to Yellowstone National Park


Advertisement
Published: August 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I woke up alive in the shed & to be honest had a great night's sleep despite not feeling 100% safe. It's another early alarm call just after 6.00am as our bags need to be out by 7am so you never sleep through with the panic you will sleep in & be the last person holding the bus up which doesn't go down well with Bob the Tour Director!

Today we are off to Yellowstone National Park for the day. Now I'm not that into geology & wildlife so don't expect me to give you all the in's & out's! Instead I've attached some photos & will type out what's in the leaflet I received!

So top line.....Yellowstone National Park;
- is known for it's geysers & it's volcanic eruptions over the last 2 million years
- the magnatic heat in the Park powers the eruptions, hot springs, fumaroles & mud pots
- the wildlife includes Bison (buffolo's to you & me), elk, grizzly & black bears, coyetes & wolves

Right that's probably enough before you get bored!
Attached are some photo's from the park - not bad eh?

So a quick commentary on the photo's
The only animals we saw was a Bison which is attached & a deer, otherwise it was pretty quiet.

Old Faithful Geyser - this is the worlds best known geyser, (although I'd never heard of it before) and it generally erupts every 90 minutes, give or take 10 minutes so not bad for reliability! There's a couple of photos of the geyser which gets takes ages to get going but is then over in around 2 minutes if it lasts for 6 minutes then it's a good one (sound familiar to some women?)

There's also a couple of pictures of mud pots (looks a bit like porridge bubbling away) and some hot springs (I think). Quoting the back of a postcard - "is a remarkable collection of subterranean vents, which pipe up, hot water from beneath the surface of the earth" My only other comment which they have missed out - they sick of rotten eggs!

Most impressive is probably the Lower Falls which is a waterfall which drops 310 feet into the Yellowstone River.

So what else exciting stuff happened today......well not really much. I had a "thunder box" experience which is a term I hadn't heard before but have done many times in Peru i.e. used a toilet which was basically a hole in the ground......oh memories of Peru come flooding back. Just remember don't look in the hole & take a deep breadth in!

We are staying in the Park tonight in a room with no internet connection, no mobile reception, no air conditioning and no TV!! We've had dinner at the lake side restaurant....beautiful cod & chips! Attached is a photo of my a couple of people from the tour. Lee, Parrian (who is 79!), me & Sue (who is from Austrialian). Sue is also by herself on a 3 month tour so we are usually hooking up during the day....to a point where I'm now starting to pick up an Austrailian accent!

But the best news of all......TOMORROW WE DON'T HAVE TO DROP OUT BAGS TILL 8AM SO WE CAN HAVE A LIE IN!!! So I will leave you now for a long nights sleep.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb