From California to the U.K. in 30 days - Day 7 (Fossil Buttes National Monument, Wyoming)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Kemmerer
July 22nd 2017
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Our primary reason for stopping in Salt Lake City was to visit with friends, some of whom we haven’t seen for a long time. Antonio’s friend Marlena was an exchange student in Costa Rica 20 years ago and now lives in Wyoming. Although she and her daughters were willing to drive 5 hours each way to meet us, we opted to meet them part way. I perused the map to find a suitable town around the midpoint and was surprised to see that Wyoming appears, essentially unpopulated. It turns out the entire State comprises only 585,000 people in 97,818 square miles. The drive confirms what the map appeared to be saying, there ain’t nobody here.



We settle on a town named Kemmerer and decide to meet at Fossil Butte National Monument just outside of town. We climb quickly out of Salt Lake on I-80 and pass through the ski resort area of Park City. You guessed it, this is the Switzerland of Utah! We marvel at the ski jump ramps looking all the more impossible with lack of snow. Despite having ascended even further into the mountains, we don’t really descend on the other side. Wyoming is on a huge plateau and by God is it desolate. Mile upon mile of high desert consisting of dry grass, sage brush and rock outcroppings. Beautiful in the Summer with temperatures in the low 80s but I can image how savage it must be in the Winter with nothing to stop the winds that must scour the landscape and blow right through you. We head NE towards Kemmerer and I am stunned by how devoid of humanity the world has become. There are few places I have been to where you can see 360 degrees to the horizon without another sign of human life. I find it humbling. As we enter the monument another reminder of our insignificance; they have signs along the side of the road measuring specific events in history. Every 9 inches represents a million years. The signs are spread out in distance corresponding to how much time has passed between each marker. Half a mile up and we are nowhere near humanities’ appearance. The representation continues along the wrap-around railing of the visitor’s center until finally, at the last fraction of an inch, we appear. Just a virtual blink of an eye in comparison to the eons that spread back to the park entrance. It’s a very effective representation made all the more successful by the stark and empty surroundings.



We meet up with Marlena and her lovely daughters, Kimberly and Katie, and proceed to the picnic area. Its partway up the mountain side and has an amazing view down valley over the sweeping plain and buttes on the far side. The temperature is warm and we sit in a gazebo of sorts munching on our assorted lunches. A few thunderheads graze us and at one point, fat drops of rain rattle the roof overhead, but the storm doesn’t come to fruition. It’s a very pleasant way to socialize and before we know it, a couple of hours have passed. I take the kids for a small stroll and we see a deer eyeing us from among the scrub brush. After lunch, I ask if we can continue along the scenic road which continues on and up promising a fantastic view. It’s also unpaved which is of course irrelevant to my decision, but either way the vista from the top makes it all worthwhile. On the way back down we see another animal paused in the middle of the road, we slow thinking its another deer and quickly realize we are seeing our first wild Antelope. He pauses majestically as if happy to pose for our pictures before making his way back in the scrub.



Marlena has been told by a local of a fossil museum that is well worth a visit, so we stop in on our way back down. Ulrich’s museum is a whimsical building, part display case and part homestead. The fossil specimens are spectacular and I am sorely tempted. Budget and weight restrictions keep me grounded but there is an entire palm frond which if I ever have an extra $9000 I would be very happy to own. Who knew that Wyoming used to have a tropical climate? The museum staff are very accommodating with the kids and offer a scrap pile that under 10s can go and seek out their own fossils. Armed with chisels and rubber mallets we eagerly begin our mining. It turns out to be a lot of fun, and we find some good fossils although nothing complete. AJ and Gracie soon decide it’s more fun just to smash the rocks to pieces which is our cue to leave. Saying goodbye to our friends, we turn back towards Salt Lake City.



When we return to our friend’s apartment Antonio takes all the youngsters to the pool while I complete my writing. So much for my promise of writing everything the same day. It just isn’t always convenient, and at times I am struggling just to keep up the daily pace. But I hope you are finding it worthwhile, and I think this will be a record we will cherish of what is rapidly becoming one of the best vacations I have ever had.



We have dinner with Adriana and family and she cooks a fabulous Costa Rican spread. All foods I have come to love and now consider comfort food from my Husband’s side of the family. Despite the great company, I am determined to make it to bed at a reasonable time as tomorrow has a full schedule, and requires an early start.



Footnote: I’m writing this entry from Moab, Utah after spending the afternoon at Arches National Park. This country is fabulous. So vast, so diverse, raw, bountiful and conflicted. I’m surprised at the number of Utes that have never been to Arches, Canyonlands, Zion and Bryce. I know native Californian’s who have never been to Yosemite. My point is this – get out and see this Country. It’s full of wonders, unimaginable landscapes, other worldly vistas and fantastic people. I challenge you to get out of your bubbles and explore the world around you. You will not regret it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb