YELLOWSTONE ADVENTURE


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Jackson
June 14th 2012
Published: June 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day one starts at 4:00 am and promises to be a great travel day. The skies are clear and remind me of 9/11. As we headed to the airport that day I commented that it was “a beautiful day to fly”.

After clearing all the security we’ve incurred since that day we were off to Denver and my first glimpse of the new airport. The architecture is imaginative, the roof echoing the Rockies in the background. After a short layover we headed across Wyoming to Jackson Hole. At first the terrain appeared rugged and lifeless, like a recent lava field only brown. Then we crossed the Rockies and approached the grasslands of Jackson Hole. The airport is tiny and charming with stairs to deplane and with one baggage carrousel. But oh my, the Teton Range is right before our eyes, stark and rugged and covered with snow.

The story goes that they were named the Tetons because they looked like a part of the female anatomy. Now I am familiar with breasts at all stages of their development and no way, no time do these mountains resemble breasts. They are sharp towering chiseled rock pointing to the sky.

We pick up our car, a mid size Pries with two miles on the odometer. Our hotel, the Lexington, is two short blocks from the Jackson Town Square so we check in and set out to explore and grab some lunch.

The center of town is charming but if you are not a shopper there isn’t much to see. Giant arches of elk antlers decorate each corner of the Square. No elk were harmed in this display. They loose their antlers naturally in the spring.

We stopped for lunch in the Town Square Tavern, Anita, not at all like the Square Tavern of our youth, and then headed back to the hotel for a short nap. Yeah, right, twelve hours later and we are heading for breakfast. Must be the altitude.

The Motel is charming. The room is large, king size bed, desk and chair, lounge chair, microwave and refrigerator, flat screen TV tub and shower, and a stuffed wolf greeted us on arrival. He is available for purchase. There is free WIFI. A hot tub and indoor pool are located in the pool house. Cushioned chairs and large tables are sited in the grassy picnic areas and coffee, tea, lemon water and punch are available around the clock. We missed the freshly baked chocolate chip cookies. Bummer!

I will be writing as we move around but the WIFI service is iffy at best so you may not hear from me until I get home.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb