On the Road Again...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Gillette
July 1st 2013
Published: June 23rd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Boiling RiverBoiling RiverBoiling River

We're the hot meets the cold
Geo: 44.2932, -105.505

We have taken to the pavement one again and now head SouthEast out of Montana and back through Wyoming. Due to great on the fly planning. We are not backtracking yet, so everything we see is new. Tonight camp is set up in the town of Gillette. Nosy neighbors appear to have taken photos of the jeep, so no free night tonight.
This morning started out great with us both sleeping in until the heat of the sun turned our tent into a sweat lodge. We packed up and went for a dip in Boiling River. Very fascinating spot where the hot thermal springs flow into the freezing glacier fed river creating a mixture of sensations between hot and cold. On our way back to the car, Alex, with a keen eye, spotted a fawn off in the bushes that had apparently already noticed us. It ran, or basically hopped away. We cut through the upper portion of Yellowstone that we had by previously seen, and we fortunate enough to see two bears. Yay us. The timing was perfect because not 5 minutes later, they were out of sight. Proceeding through Yellowstone and out the NorthEast exit, we headed to the Bear?? Scenic highway. It is supposed to be one of the most beautiful roads in the States. Alex and I can attest to the fact that is was absolutely amazing, and on my list as one of the top scenic drives I have been on. We rose in altitude to a whopping 10956 feet. Alex was disappointed we didn't make it to 11k. Near the top we found a snow hill, pulled out the dune surfing skim board and were a little more successful using it to surf/sled in the snow. How appropriate, I had on board shorts, tshirt, and flip flops. But, frostbite started to set in so I had to put my boots on. After the snow play, we continued on and pulled up on a guy racing down the mountain on a bike. We clocked him at 40 and couldn't keep up most of the time on the curves. We made it to a town called Red Lodge and had pizza. Really a neat looking little town. But we had bigger plans than to stay and play in this town. We left for South Dakota and are now camped for the night and will finish the drive tomorrow morning in Deadwood..
Other cool sightings along the way:
2 deer standing in the middle of a creek, some kind of really fluffy furry creature we have yet to identify, and a bunny at the camp site.

Advertisement



2nd July 2013

So cool...we never saw bears at Yellowstone:( Sounds like you are having a grand time:)
2nd July 2013

Wonderful blog! Sounds like beautiful Country. I have never been in that part of the Country. Have fun and try to take more pictures. :-)
5th July 2013

Stunning!!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0365s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb