Moving Day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wyoming » Gillette
July 31st 2019
Published: August 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

We were up at 5:30 AM today because we had a long drive to make. And I have to add, I really have little of note to write about. Moving days can be boring, because we are not touring anything and these days are usually chosen through uninspiring areas. We left the hotel before 7 AM and 56 degrees and said good-by to Shelby, MT. We spent two days in a town with no restaurants, two hotels and one casino. I was glad to be moving on.

The drive took us through lots of flat farmland again today. And before we got the Wyoming, the topography did change somewhat, but not a whole lot. We made a pit stop in the middle of nowhere, at Eddie’s Corner in Montana, at the intersection of routes 87 & 3 and immediately recognized it as a place we had stopped at before. It is a gas station with a restaurant…a good old fashioned restaurant with a lunch bar and tables. The place was full of locals eating breakfast, the staff was very friendly, and the bathrooms were spotless. I guess that’s why we remembered it.

At lunch time we arrived in Billings. The road into Billings is up high on a hill that looks down onto this sprawling city. There is a large pull-off up there and we parked and had our lunch while enjoying the view. I quipped that this must be the local lovers lane…the place the kids go to park and make out. You all remember those days.

We drove through occasional tiny towns like Shawmut where we saw about half a dozen houses, an old abandoned “motel” that had two cabins, now dilapidated and falling down, and a place called Stag Stop. I have no idea what that was. And we followed a small meandering river as it snaked through fields by the roadside. It was called Muscle Shell River.

And that, folks, is about it. I have a few photos, but nothing spectacular, if you compare them to yesterday’s in Glacier NP. At this point we have one more stop of note than we will be moving quickly to get to Maine where we will spend time with family and friends before heading south.

Tomorrow Rapid City.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



1st August 2019

BARREN WYOMING
You probably have been to Rapid City previously. Driving my mother, brother, sister west we stopped overnight at Rapid City. Saw the movie ''North By Northwest'' about Rapid City and Mt. Rushmore, with Cary Grant. We then toured Mt. Rushmore the next morning.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb