Old Friend & New State


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Madison
August 2nd 2012
Published: August 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Madison is the capital of Wisconsin, home to Univ of WI Badgers and our friend Maggie who we met our first year teaching in China. Pete had never been to the state of Wisconsin before this trip and we had a wonderful day there with Maggie.



Madison is an amazing small city and offers what we enjoy about the USA: walkable, beautiful and ecclectic. We started off our day with lunch at a Nepalese restaurant, enjoyed Indian beer and people watched. People watching is much more enjoyable in the USA due to the diversity.



We then strolled along State St to the Capital building, where we climbed up to the 4th floor to the observation deck to take in the views of Lake Mendota & Minona. We wandered around the beautiful building taking in the views as the government workers are on Summer session right now so we didn't get to see them hard at work.



Later we stolled down to the UW Madison campus to take in the old historic buildings and a beer on the Union Terrace. We enjoyed a pitcher of New Glarus' Brewery Spotted Cow blend which was fantastic on a hot, sunny, summer day.



Next up, dinner at the Weary Traveler on Williamson St. We ate another meal that was all vegetarian (just like our lunch) and enjoyed another New Glarus Brewery beer called Two Woman. I gave Pete a hard time as he was drinking Two Woman beer with 2 woman, Maggie & I.



Last stop, was Maggie's new condo a few blocks away from the famous "Square" around the capital building. It is fun to see our friends become home owners as we go back and forth on the idea. If we stay in the US then yes we would buy, but if we go back to China there is no need.



Thanks for a great day trip Madison and to another state added to Pete's bucket list.



*New Glarus Brewery is only sold within the state of WI.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.352s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 23; qc: 89; dbt: 0.2073s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb