Sledding With Jan


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Land O' Lakes
February 27th 2012
Published: February 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jan On The TrailJan On The TrailJan On The Trail

The intrepid snowmobiler with her trusty steed.
I finally convinced Jan to go with me on a snowmobile trip for the first time this winter. She's been working a lot at her job as a substitute teacher, so the schedules weren't meshing to do it before this week. Of course my schedule is open to doing it any time. I've made quite a few trips this winter even though it's been an unusually low snow winter.



We arrived Sunday around 3:00 PM at the Gateway Lodge in Land O' Lakes, WI right on the border of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. After unpacking and unloading the snowmobiles, we went to dinner at the Red Man Supper Club. We've been coming up here for over 20 years. We used to bring the whole family up when the kids were younger and have many great memories of those trips. The Red Man was always one of our favorite places to go to dinner at least once on each of those trips.



Monday we rode down to Conover, WI about 15 miles on the trails to stop for breakfast, but the restaurant wasn't open on Monday so we rode back up to Lando. We decided
Red Man Supper ClubRed Man Supper ClubRed Man Supper Club

Great old restaurant in Land O' Lakes.
to ride up to Hoppy's Bar in Kenton, MI, about a 40 mile ride from Lando. Hoppy's is one of my favorite places to stop for a break. Jane, the owner, is a real character who loves to give some of the patrons a hard time, all in good fun. We had lunch there before making the 40 mile ride back to Land O' Lakes.



The trails were excellent with a few inches of new snow making things a lot better than a week ago when warm weather melted a lot of the snow base. We rode 113 miles for the day. That's quite a long ride for Jan's first day of riding in a year. After that much riding, it was time to get a couple drinks form the Gateway bar and head down to the hot tub to soak our weary muscles. We then drove to Bent's Camp, a lodge about 10 miles west of town for dinner. It was a very enjoyable first day of riding!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Trail 107Trail 107
Trail 107

New snow and excellent conditions.
At Hoppy'sAt Hoppy's
At Hoppy's

In Kenton, UP of Michigan. One of my favorite bars in snow country.
Ottawa Lodge ChimneyOttawa Lodge Chimney
Ottawa Lodge Chimney

All that's left of the The Ottawa Lodge. It burned down many years ago. It was quite a place in it's day. Kenton, MI.
Hoppy's Hoppy's
Hoppy's

"The Hoppiest Place on Earth"


28th February 2012

Looks like fun!
I hope you both have a fantastic time. I love the pictures. Brings back great memories. Happy Sledding!!!
28th February 2012

Having Fun
Thanks, Joan. We're having a great time, but I think Jan was a little pooped after the 113 miles!
1st March 2012

Great to hear from you Bob. We've had little to no snowmobiling this year up untill now. Expect considerable snow this week so Bill and I are headed for Pittsburg NH, Maine and Quebec this Sunday.
1st March 2012

Hi Charlie
Great to hear from you, too, Charlie. Hope you guys get the snow and have a great time.

Tot: 0.298s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 108; dbt: 0.1537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb