A Detour from US 2 to Hayward, Wisconsin


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Hayward
October 7th 2007
Published: October 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Fall colorsFall colorsFall colors

This was taken at Two Lakes Campground.
Northern Wisconsin is a beautiful area with a great north woods feel. We camped one night near Drummond at Two Lakes Campground. It was colorful with vibrant leaves on the trees and the ground. The day we arrived was sunny, which made it a great day to walk and take pictures. During the night the weather changed, so we were glad that we did our walks the day before.

We moved to Hayward to visit with my cousin Sharron for a couple days. It was fun to see her again. George got to recite “The Cremation of Sam McGee” again. This time it was to entertain Sharron and her friend Joyce, who recited portions along with him.

Hayward is a great town with different activities throughout the seasons. There is a museum that literally stands out with its 41-foot-tall musky. It’s the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame and Museum and it’s full of fishing history, memorabilia, and some huge fish. We enjoyed touring it on a previous visit and didn’t feel a need to revisit it this time.

We ate out a couple of times. The ethnic heritage of this area is Norwegian, so of course
View of lake from our campsiteView of lake from our campsiteView of lake from our campsite

This was taken at Two Lakes Campground near Drummond.
we ate at the Norske Nook. I had the Norwegian meatballs in Lefse. At the Lumberjack Lodge George had Blue Gill. We enjoyed our meals and our visit. Hayward seems like a nice friendly town and we have been impressed by it on each of our visits.

We closed down another campground in Hayward. It’s at the end of the season for many campgrounds, so as we’re coming home our selection is less and less. It was interesting to watch them prepare the area for the winter. I talked with one of the workers as he worked and he said with a big smile “We close Monday.” Seems like he was looking forward to the off-season!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.502s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.3888s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb