Canada to Wisconsin


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Door County
August 9th 2016
Published: August 10th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Travelling from Platzburg in New York over the border into Canada with no hitches. Only the customs officer asking why we had chosen this particular crossing as it was from the back roads of New York state, we explained that we did not to use the freeways, we just travel the country roads.
As it was quite early we had an easy drive into the city of Montreal, spent the day in this lovely city. Enjoying the casual pace of the place, however when leaving we caught up with the traffic. We quickly got out of the city onto smaller roads and travelled along the road which follows the Saint Lawrence River, and stopped at a small town called Prescott.
We were so fortunate to find a place which offered small self contained cottages, so we settled in for a few days, to reading and cooking and enjoying the banks of the Saint Lawrence River. Lots of people who were enjoying the same thing as us, it was a beautiful spot. We met Frank the owner of the cottages, who was from Beijing and who had emigrated to Canada 5 years ago. I took some photos of the cottage gardens for him, in exchange for a nice bottle of California Red...... not bad exchange me thinks?
Sad to leave, but onward to Toronto, Ontario..and a visit to my Uncle Jack's who I haven't seen since my 21st birthday party. That's 35 years ago, he was very surprised, I'm thinking......but we spent a lovely couple of hours chatting. "Well as you all know me", me chatting a lot, poor uncle, I am sure he was quite overwhelmed. Like a whirlwind, but we really appreciate the time we spent with him. Traveling to Niagra Falls, I was quite excited after seeing them as a young girl. And wondered if they were as I remembered them, and how they compared to the beautiful Iguazu Falls in Brazil.
We got there before the crowds, early in the morning.I can say they were as I remembered them, the sheer volume of water that goes over these falls is something else, however, in my opinion not quite as beautiful or as spectacular as the Iguazu Falls. I think we need to now visit the Victoria Falls in Africa. Now ? that has to be a future destination.
From Niagra we traveled over to Huron Lake, the next great lake. We traveled from Sarnia along the shores of Huron spending time at the small towns of Saint Joseph, Saltford, Port Albert, Kincardine and Saugeen, Sauble beach. And at Tobermory we crossed the Huron on the car ferry, to the largest fresh water island in the world, Manitoulin Island. A lovely few days spent and a spectacular ferry ride across the ever so huge lake Huron. The three great lakes in Canada are breath taking and beautiful, you just cannot comprehend just how large they are and with waves. Even lake Ontario and Erie are that huge, that you just cannot see the other side of the lakes.
Onward and heading back south........ it would be nice to head north and even to Alaska but along with Iceland, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Russia will be a trip for another year. Cannot rush into this future trip, especially Russia.
But we must focus on the USA and the things we need to see in this great big country that we haven't seen yet.
Driving south and visiting Espanola and Manistque into Green Bay, Doors County and the home of the world famous Green Bay Packers. Enjoying the wonderful peninsula of Door county visiting pretty little lake towns along the Mitchigan Great Lake. This should be called Cherry Peninsula as everthing is called Cherry this.... Cherry that .... Cherry Orchards. Shops that offer all sorts of cherry products. We loved Wisconsin great cheese! great cherries!
We leave tommorow for a weekend in Chicago. My kind of town Chicago is, I certainly hope so


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Montreal,CanadaMontreal,Canada
Montreal,Canada

Poultry Fried Kentucky


10th August 2016

Blogs up to date
Hi guys loving the blog I'am now up to date. Some awesome experiences you to have been having don't forget to go to a show, play, concert. Something only priveledged Americans can do. I would love to have a blog of a visit to a grocery store with pics so I can see what bulk packages and store sizes are like. Or even a fishing rod a tent and an AR15 on a shelf next to each other in a Kmart. Love you stay safe.
10th August 2016

Supermarkets a basicalky the same as home darling, and we havnt seen a store selling fire arms yet only licenced dealers. But we havnt seen all of America yet so we keep a lookout. Did you see the blog in Menphis were we visited the Pro Bass Shop. Love you sweetheart xxxxx

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0544s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb