Fishing Trip at Lake Chetek


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Wisconsin » Chetek
October 27th 2012
Published: October 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

June, 2010

One week each year my sisters and their husbands spend a week in Wisconsin fishing. Not being a boat owner or as avid fishers as they, we opt to join them every other year. This was our year. We were joining my sister Patty, and her husband Pat, along with two of Pat's daughters and their 3 kids. Quite a big group. Should be alot of fun. While they have fished a few different lakes over the years, they have spent the last few at Lake Chetek, and that again would be our home for the week.

Chetek is located about forty miles north of Eau Claire. It is a 9-10 hour drive from Indiana. You will find Chetek to be a small town with a large lake. There are numerous resorts surrounding the lake. We stayed at Wildwood. Pat had rented an old trailer at the resort that overlooks the lake. It easily slept all of us.

Those with RV’s will find plenty of camping resorts, while those without will have no problem finding a cabin, many with multiple bedrooms, to suit any size family. No boat. No problem. You can rent both motorboats and pontoons at many of the resorts. In fact, for this trip Pat rented a pontoon. That made it easy to take the entire clan out fishing.

Chetek has one grocery store. There is no WalMart. You will, though, find a Dairy Queen. Our favorite restaurant is actually a bar called Gilligans. It is located outside of town and is also accesible by boat. For more shopping and restaurant options you will need to drive about 10 miles to Rice Lake.

While the weather this year was not the best, we did manage four days of fishing. We caught crappie, bluegill, and a few perch. Enough for a fish fry, and enough to bring back a few meals to enjoy during our Indiana winter.

As always, we detoured to Hayward for a day. I'll write more about Hayward and Tremblys (our reason for going) in another journal entry. We enjoyed our trip, and having Pat's grandkids along made for a lot of fun.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0766s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb