Triton Cove - Long Beach, WA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington
March 31st 2010
Published: April 17th 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: On the Beach... at Long Beach 0 secs
North Head lighthouseNorth Head lighthouseNorth Head lighthouse

Cape Disappointment State Park, WA.
RAIN FORESTS, SWAMPS AND SAND DUNES:
We're travelling through quite a varied landscape. At first we continue along the eastern outskirts of the Olympic Mountains with various national wilderness parks and their tall firs. Heading toward the Pacific we come through sawmill towns such as Aberdeen and Raymond and the accompanying clear-cut logged hillsides scarring the landscape. Closer to the shoreline -- especially where river estuaries flow into the ocean we see wetlands which no doubt host many species of birds.
On the spur of the moment we decide to head for Long Beach on the southernmost tip of Washington's Pacific coast, instead of using the slightly shorter route to Oregon via Clark's Dismal Nitch. Here the Lewis-and-Clark expedition reached the west coast after traversing the continental USA. We choose a private campground over the State Park at Cape Disappointment as it is only a short walk across windswept dunes onto the wide, gently sloping beach. Quite a few people drive their vehicles along this hard-packed sand to find the best spot for clam digging.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Long BeachLong Beach
Long Beach

boasts the longest stretch of continuous beach in the USA.


Tot: 0.288s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb