We Smell the Barn


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Yakima
September 28th 2009
Published: September 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Sunday September 27, 2009

“Let’s head for the barn? We got the Palouse Falls in our pocket. I’m ready for some rain; let’s go home.”

So, we saddled up this morning and began a two day sprint to the home barn. We fueled up in Dayton, WA; as fine a little laid out town as you might want to see in eastern Washington. Basically, we are backtracking the route we took five years ago when we visited Jackson Hole and Yellowstone with our Hi-Ho Quicksilver in tow behind the Subi Forester.

The biggest change we see are the electricity generating windmill farms on the high ridges along Hwy 12 between Dayton and Walla Walla. When I hear “Walla Walla,” I think about sweet onions.

Between the tri cities (Pasco, Richland and Kennewick) and Yakima is Washington “wine country.” Vineyards galore! We pushed on because we have a couple of bottles of wine chilling in the fridge. I’ll say it again; having a refrigerator/freezer in Uncle Joe has made traveling the roads so much more pleasurable than having to find ice every day for a cooler.

We are spending the night (Sunday) at Trailer Inns RV Park in sunny Yakima, WA. You can see where we are staying on Google Maps at:

Trailer Inns RV Park

In the morning we will head out and put The Beast in tow mode to run up the east side of the Cascades. So far this truck has outperformed our expectations; it has shouldered Uncle Joe up steep inclines and in lower gear has delivered us safely down mountainsides. The long wheelbase is what makes the truck-trailer combo so stable under various road conditions.

When we get home, we will winterize Uncle Joe; drain the water tanks and lines, drain and bypass the water heater, and then use pressurized air to make sure the lines are clear of water before putting the rig in its storage shed before heading down south after Thanksgiving. There are some water traps to which we will add some safe RV antifreeze.

Hope you enjoyed following us along on this trip. This posting will wrap it up. There is no more to come.

Over the next month or so, I’ll be posting some of my photos on my Flicker site at:

Paddy’s Flickr Site

Paddy



Advertisement



28th September 2009

welcome home
Hey call us when you get settled in so we can welcome you home in person!! Ada
29th September 2009

Wonderful Trip
Mare and I enjoyed riding along with you and revisiting a few of the places we've enjoyed over the past years. Thanks for the ride.

Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 91; dbt: 0.1184s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb