Motorcycle 2012 - first trip on Honda ST 1300 (Washington,Idaho,Montana,BC,Alberta,Saskatchewan and Manitoba


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Winthrop
July 18th 2012
Published: August 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Starting outStarting outStarting out

Holiday Inn Express in Burlington, Wa
After being barely over my Asia trip (arrived in Canada on July 2nd) I did laundry and repacked to leave on July 5th for Anacortes, WA via the WSDOT ferry from Sidney, BC. This is my first ST 1300 trip and I was looking forward to seeing how the new bike performed.



On July 5th It was up and gone at 7.00 AM to catch the Fulford ferry to Schwartz Bay at 0750. Cool day compared to SE Asia but the weather is apparently about to improve. I had some time to kill in Sidney as the WSDOT ferry isnt until noon so had breakfast, then went to wait in line for customs.



After a 2 hour ferry ride (this one is direct) I exited to go through yet another customs check. After that it was on to #20 to Burlington where John had booked a room at the HI Express. Missed turn and ended up a mile down I5 but easy off ramp and back. After checkin,we headed out for dinner to the Montana Steak House, then did gas-up and back to room. Our plan is to be on the road on WA # 20 by 8.00 AM.



The next day we had a BF breakfast at the hotel and were on the road well before 8.00. Easy route out of Burlington on to Highway 20 and through nice country side - lots of trees and pastures and then gradual climb up to summit. It is July 6th and we are seeing snow-apparently some years they get over 80 feet at the summit.



After 2 hours of incredibly scenic up hill riding we hit the summit and start down a long switchback. We passed the field where Casey the beagle had her last XC ski and then rolled into Winthrop for a drink and ice cream-it is hot.



We then headed out for Omak, Okanagan and then east at Tonasket on #20 through to Idaho. Temperature is way up so I changed into the summer Joe Rocket jacket.Excellent ride from T to Sandpoint. We finally arrived at 6.00 PM after a long day (about 420 miles -700 km) Hotel was on the way out of town with no A/C and few options nearby for food-ended up at Boston Pizza.



The next day we had a mediocre hotel breakfast which was spiced up by two HD enthusiasts from Texas- I mentioned the off shore source of many HD parts which wasnt a well received comment .. After Breakfast we headed off to Bonners Ferry to get on to highway #2 (Hello William Least Heat Moon) Number 2 from BF is a magnificent ride-lots of curves high up along huge mountain lake... At least 30 miles of excellent scenary.



We stopped just before the border for a Subway sandwich and the all important duty free gin. After the border John headed off on his own to Calgary to switch the Screaming Eagle for an Electraglide.(sometimes known as a geezerglide)



I continued on to Fernie to spend the night with Ryan. After checking into the Griz Inn on the hill I went out to see the Percell Timber Frame build site ( Ryan is building one of their Mountain Magic unit-quite impressive) We had a great dinner on the hill.



The next day I headed off early (5.30) for a long ride across the prairies-Fernie to Broadview.Some people hate the ride across the prairies but I
At the topAt the topAt the top

Still snow-apparently they can get 75 feet or more
like it in June-lots of yellow and blue fields.



I finally checked into the Sweet Dreams Motel at 7.00 in Broadview, SK -long day. (about 1000 km) After a shower I went to the adjacent restaurant for underwhelming meal of lasagna.Waitress was a nut case. One of the highlights of todays trip was being passed by carloads of people with green faces on their way the Roughriders game in Regina.



The next day I made it to West Hawk Lake by 3.00 or so - 580 kms. After the trip I will be doing a few bike modifications-air deflectors,cruise control, highway blades etc. There may also be a need for a different seat as the stock one could be used to extract confessions from foreign spies...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Sandpoint MotelSandpoint Motel
Sandpoint Motel

A good one to miss


Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0825s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb