Day One and Two: Skagit Bay to Medford, Oregon


Advertisement
Published: March 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Charging stationCharging stationCharging station

This one was in Kelso. It takes about twenty minutes and costs about $12 to charge up for 300 miles.
After I took a last swim in Skagit Bay, we finished loading the Tesla, and started off on our EV road trip! (My plan is to swim every day on this trip....)

The trip to Portland was uneventful. It's a generally boring drive, with often bad traffic, but this time at least the traffic wasn't too bad. This part of the trip gave us a chance to figure out more about the navigation system, and we were able to add multiple stops in the correct order!

We stopped to charge up in Kelso and arrived at Bill's cousin John's place in the late afternoon. He lives in a beautiful Portland suburb, in a house full of Japanese artifacts he's collected over the years. He previously taught in Japan, in an English immersion program. We had a delicious dinner and great conversation. I walked around the neighborhood, which was full of flowers and friendly families. After a restful night (much needed after waking up at 5:00am, thinking we were hearing the dreaded otters...it wasn't them...), I went for a run, John made us breakfast and gifted us one of his late mother's paintings, and we set out for Medford.
Skagit BaySkagit BaySkagit Bay

A misty morning, but the water was so clear!

Our first stop was a beach on the Umpqua River, at Cleveland Rapids. There were several fishermen parked on the beach, and a group of disabled adults playing along the shore. The water was very shallow, until I got out into the current, so I just took a short swim...

Next we visited the ghost town of Golden and walked into Coyote Creek Preserve to get some exercise. The pond there was more inviting than the river, and I wished I had waited to swim...The temperature was rising as the sun came out, and it was soon in the seventies!

We drove on over the mountains to Medford, where we charged up and had dinner at a brewery, before checking into our lodging for the night...the Rodeway Motel. By the lack of mask wearing, it appears that Southern Oregon had completely eradicated the virus?

Tomorrow we head into California, stopping in Chico for a few days with the Gregorys...


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

On the roadOn the road
On the road

Everything that is normally part of the dashboard is automatic and/or controlled by the screen.
Bill's cousin JohnBill's cousin John
Bill's cousin John

He's standing in front of a glorious daphne odora!
Bill's aunt Fran did this paintingBill's aunt Fran did this painting
Bill's aunt Fran did this painting

John, her son, gifted it to us...
Swim #2Swim #2
Swim #2

Umpqua River in Oregon


24th March 2022

Your road trip
Wow!! I’m so glad you guys are having fun! Keep on truckn! ?

Tot: 0.556s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 25; qc: 129; dbt: 0.2283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb