Seattle 2010 - Pike Place Market & Space Needle/area


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
May 10th 2015
Published: May 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This album from 2010 features Seattle's popular Pike Place market & the Space Needle & area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Pike Place Market (pp)Pike Place Market (pp)
Pike Place Market (pp)

Pike Place Market, which overlooks the Elliott Bay waterfront, is located on Pike Street, one of Seattle's most popular tourist destinations. The Market opened August 17, 1907, and is one of the oldest continuously operated public farmers' markets in the United States.
pp  Wonderful tie dyes ;o)pp  Wonderful tie dyes ;o)
pp Wonderful tie dyes ;o)

The Market is a place of business for many small farmers, craftspeople and merchants.
pp  Lots of fresh local producepp  Lots of fresh local produce
pp Lots of fresh local produce

The upper street level contains fishmongers, fresh produce stands and craft stalls operating in the covered arcades. Local farmers and craftspeople sell year-round in the arcades from tables they rent from the Market on a daily basis, in accordance with the Market's mission and founding goal: allowing consumers to "Meet the Producer".
pp  Popular local seafood stallpp  Popular local seafood stall
pp Popular local seafood stall

These sellers were quite entertaining ;o)
pp  The large market has more than one levelpp  The large market has more than one level
pp The large market has more than one level

The Market is built on the edge of a steep hill, and consists of several lower levels. Each level features a variety of unique shops such as antique dealers, comic book and collectible shops, small family-owned restaurants, and one of the oldest head shops in Seattle.
pppp
pp

More info: http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/ Virtual tour: http://www.seattle.gov/tour/pikep.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike_Place_Market
Space Needle (sn)Space Needle (sn)
Space Needle (sn)

The Space Needle observation tower is Pacific Northwest landmark & a Seattle icon. It was built in Seattle’s Center for the 1962 World's Fair which drew over 2.3 million visitors. Nearly 20,000 people a day used the tower’s elevators. The tower was designated a city historic Landmark On April 19, 1999.
sn  At 605 ft high & 138 ft wide,sn  At 605 ft high & 138 ft wide,
sn At 605 ft high & 138 ft wide,

it was once the tallest structure west of the Mississippi River. It is built to withstand winds of up to 200 miles per hour & and earthquakes of up to 9.1 magnitude. It also has 25 lightning rods.
sn  The observation deck is at 520 ft sn  The observation deck is at 520 ft
sn The observation deck is at 520 ft

& the rotating SkyCity restaurant at 500 ft. The elevators to the observation deck travel at 10 miles per hour (5 mph on windy days).
snsn
sn

The downtown Seattle skyline, as well as the Olympic & Cascade Mountains, Mount Rainier, Mount Baker, Elliott Bay & surrounding islands can be viewed from the observation deck.


24th May 2015

Lovely area
Thanks Rainy. Brought back memories for me. A great area to wander around.
25th May 2015

Nice!
It certainly is a colourful place, Rainy, both literally and figuratively. As usual, you have done it proud! Thanks for sharing with us.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb