Seattle... Day of Days


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
April 14th 2014
Published: April 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Saturday, April 12, 2014 truly was a day of days! When Heidi Herder plans an all day event, she makes sure that it is full. When I say full, I mean supine on the couch after too much turkey on Thanksgiving full.

It was a day that began with a Washington marine layer reminiscent of a July day, minus 15 degrees or so. Nevertheless, it was obvious that it would clear to be a brilliant and sunny Seattle afternoon! First stop, the Museum of History and Industry, or MOHAI. For me, it was like thumbing through a Washington State history book. Incredibly detailed and well laid out, the museum captures every major era in Seattle history and allows the visitor to waltz through local history enthralled with the collection presented to them. Our kids browsed until overwhelmed, and then perused the collection for a while longer.

From here, they were ready for a mental break, and of course some food. On to the Seattle Center for a bite. The cloud layer was beginning to burn off, revealing a brilliant blue sky and mild temps. After a bit of a break, it was on to the Chihuly glass museum to witness glass art and presentation at its absolute finest. It was hard to keep moving as at every turn the color and light reflecting and illuminating the glass creations were hypnotizing and served as a bit of a siren song for those with cameras wishing to capture the brilliance of the colors. But alas, it was time to exit.

If there existed a polar opposite of the quiet and manicured culture that resides inside the walls of the glass museum, the Ducks would be it. Not to defame the name of our fine feathered friends, but the raucous and rocking land and sea tour is anything but tame. Captain Pato Loco (Crazy Duck) provided our aqua- terra vehicle with a south of the border flair that kept us laughing, singing and dancing for the duration. Lake Union was shimmering as we made our trek through the water and enjoyed a completely different perspective of our beautiful city.

After disembarking, our Haigerloch friends completed the must do event in Seattle. Up the Space Needle they went. The American contingent lounged near the base of the 1962 World's Fair centerpiece as a few intrepid members made a quick run to Dicks for some grease. Everyone made it down safely and it was off to the ball game.

It was a brilliant day to sit in the 300 level looking north. The skyline was shimmering in the sunset and the motocross races were easy to view on the big screen in the Clink, complete with pyrotechnics and copious amounts of smoke. It served to spice up an otherwise slow game. Those who stuck it out until the end were rewarded as our group was featured on the stadium scoreboard video screen! There was a bit of excitement at the end as the Mariners created a late chance to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. In the end however, our German friends were treated to an authentic Seattle experience with a low scoring Mariners loss. Hooray!

All in all, it was a phenomenal day! Good times and a great group paired with incredible weather and brilliantly planned fun created memories that will truly last a lifetime! Again I am left to appreciate what an incredible group we have! German and American students, parents, teachers... All top notch!

Sunday was another summerlike day in Washington and I know many were able to get out and enjoy it, albeit no doubt running on fumes from a high octane Saturday.

It's off to enjoy Bellingham tomorrow on what promises to be another beautiful day, though by design, a bit lower key.


Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.339s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0813s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb