Departure


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
November 10th 2010
Published: November 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Departure



Lying in bed in the early morning, full of anticipation and excitement like a kid on Christmas day, Laura remains dozing next to me. I can't sleep. The big departure day has finally arrived! It is so exciting to think we are off on another adventure. Neither Laura nor I have been to Indochina and this will be a big change from Latin America. It is the first time I will be in a place in more than 10 years where I cannot speak the language, and this time around, even the alphabet will be indistinguishable.

This last month has been a complete whirlwind. Today is exactly one month from the biggest day of our lives, our wedding day (10/10/10, baby!). It has been 4 1/2 weeks filled with preparation, parties, visiting, cleaning up, travel, and preparing for another shower or reception ( that doesn't even count the preparation it took for the wedding itself). While I didn’t want it to end during the process, I am glad that life can go back to “normal.” Obviously our normal is not that normal, but now we can focus on the next chapter of our lives and a most exciting opportunity, our honeymoon! Laura and I are so lucky to have the time, resources and opportunity for an 85-day backpacking trip together. It is that feeling of discovery that I anticipate and the wanderlust approach to life that I have witnessed in so many of our Luna's Castle hostel guests.

Our plane departs in a few hours from Seattle airport to Seoul, South Korea. It will be the longest non-stop flight I've flown, 12 1/2 hours. Laura and I are headed to visit Steve Carton, a friend of hers from college. He's been teaching English in Seoul for the last few years. There are a few great reasons to visit him besides the fact that he is a friend. Steve visited us in Panama three years back, so one is that we owe him a trip to see what he has been doing. Our flight to Bangkok goes through Seoul as well, so it seemed like an obvious choice to stay and visit him. We have five days to explore the land after we arrive (minus jet-lag recovery) and I have no expectations for how Korea will be. I am sure it will be great.

I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone on multiple levels for their generosity, kindness and love. Thank you to everyone who so lovingly contributed towards our wedding registry and travel. This blog is to help you experience South East Asia vicariously through us and see your gifts become a reality. Thank you to all the friends and family who attended our wonderful parties. Sorry to those who we only had a little time to visit. Thank you to Michael Schiff for making the Sugar Land reception and Panama wedding possible. This has been a dream wedding and your generosity and patience is amazing. Thank you to Peach and Dave for your incredibly hard work in making the Seattle reception a success. We understand the effort it took to make it all come together, especially with the added difficulty of balancing work and school, and are humbled by what you gave us. Finally, thank you Laura for saying "Yes". You make me so happy. I love you.

Off to Asia!


Advertisement



12th November 2010

Yay!
So excited for y'all....and I am so looking forward to the updates! Safe travels. :)
12th November 2010

Love the blog!
Hey Aaron and Laura! I love the blog! Please keep it up so that we can vicariously live through your travels. Travel safe! -Julia
12th November 2010

This will be fun
You have the gift of writing, Aaron, and I'll bet Laura does, too. Brenda and I look forward to your travelog. Larry
12th November 2010

The Journey begins!
I am so excited that your dream to travel is finally coming to fruition. You have both worked hard and I know this journey will be an everlasting memory. I also know from personal experience from living outside the country as a newlywed, thta you will become even closer, having no one but each other to depend on. Please be safe and take advantage of everything that comes your way. We love you and can't wait to hear about the incredible experiences that you will have! Happy Honeymoon! Luv ya, Marsha
12th November 2010

You'll love Asia!
Jealous of your trip to Thailand! The food and flowers are incredible, as are the floating markets. Hope you get to Chang Mai, we never did. And when you're snorkeling in the islands, think of us! Love, Mark & Sal PS-if you decide to go to the Philippines, let us know.
12th November 2010

Have a wonderful trip/goede reis!
Dear Aaron and Laura, I am amazed that nobody has reacted yet, must be becuase of the time difference. With us it is already evening, while you guys must be at sleep by now and the family and friends in the US are still at work. See how wonderful this medium is. No matter where you are, and what time of the day it is, you are able to get hold of each other via this blog. We hope (and are sure) you two will enjoy your planned trip. By the way did you happen to see some of the G-20 guests in Seoul yet? It is great you can get acquainted with this country with help of your friend. Enjoy and we'll stay in touch, Marijke

Tot: 0.338s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 18; qc: 92; dbt: 0.2282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb