New Year's Fever


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
January 2nd 2006
Published: January 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Space Needle and La QuintaThe Space Needle and La QuintaThe Space Needle and La Quinta

A view of the Space Needle, pre-New Year's celebration!
Signs have been guiding us all along our West Coast adventure. The moment we got off the highway to enter downtown, a billboard overlooking the thoroughfare announced: Party of Two, Your City is Ready!

We arrived in Seattle on the 30th and stayed in our room, gathering strength and energy for our fabulous New Year's Eve blowout at the Space Needle. Taking advantage of the break in driving and sight-seeing, the Boy dexterized on his laptop until the wee hours of the morning. It was early afternoon before we woke up. Hoping the worst of the cold was over, we ventured out towards Pike Place. However, a few minutes in the drafty winds, and Marce's cough alerted us to the contrary. We returned to the safety and warmth of our room.

We reappeared that evening in full New Year's regalia. Allen looked dashing in his suit with Marce on his arm in her red dress. Our dinner partners were a couple from Louisiana, Adam and Tamara, celebrating nearly 9 months since their elopement. Adam is enlisted in the army and his platoon is scheduled to depart for Afghanistan in February. When he returns, he plans to complete his creative
The Boy and The Girl on New Year's EveThe Boy and The Girl on New Year's EveThe Boy and The Girl on New Year's Eve

A candid shot in the Jazz Lounge before dinner.
writing degree and work as a screen writer. Tamara, who cooked her first complete Thanksgiving dinner when she was 15, is pursuing a degree in nursing and is slated to graduate in 2006. We laughed and shared stories over a delicious six-course meal. The rotating restaurant gave us a 360 degree view of Seattle, traffic backed up for miles with eager spectators wanting to get close view of the fireworks at the Space Needle.

As some patrons learned during the course of the evening, if you leave something on the window ledge of a rotating restaurant you may find that your purse, pen, napkin, or other artifact will tend to drift off as you move forward in your predetermined rotation! Taking advantage of this interesting phenomenon, our table decided to place a folded menu on the ledge with a pen and a short message, encouraging guests to sign their names and state their place of origin. A couple of rotations later, we got our menu back. Then pen is still M.I.A!

At midnight, we made our way up into the observation deck for the much anticipated fireworks display. However, because of our position in the sky, we only
Adam, Tamara, Marce and AllenAdam, Tamara, Marce and AllenAdam, Tamara, Marce and Allen

The Newlyweds ring in the New Year at the Space Needle.
saw the trailing sparks of a few above and the glow of the ones below. Some may say that the show was anti-climactic, but as far as Marce is concerned, it was perfect. Not only was she on top of the world, but she felt the earth move every time she kissed The Boy!

As Allen quickly discovered, allergies that turn into colds are very contagious! We have spent the past two days in our hotel room in a NyQuil induced sleep. Allen's fever returns every once in a while, but Marce seems to be on the mend. As you can imagine, three days in quarantine has our camera very unhappy. But no matter how hard we try, we can't bring ourselves to take pictures of kleenex and chicken noodle soup! So, we have high hopes that by tomorrow we will be back to our original plan of sipping coffee at the first Starbucks, wandering around Bellevue streets and exploring Redmond.

Keep your fingers crossed and your eyes peeled for more West Coast adventures! We hope everyone had a wonderful 31st and wish you all a 2006 full of health, love, prosperity and happiness!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Space Needle in 2006Space Needle in 2006
Space Needle in 2006

Allen's view of the Space Needle as we exited the party.


3rd January 2006

miss you kiss you
Feel better young adventurers! Thanks so very much for the blogs-- I feel like I've been on the trip with you!
3rd January 2006

New Year
My sweetest loves, You both looked radiant New Years Eve, absolutely impossible to see the quarantine to come. I have been sending Reiki off and on the last 24 hrs. I hope you bounce back enough to finish the tour as you had hoped. I will see you Thursday morning, bright and bushy tailed!! A huge hug to you both!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb