A Long Winter's Nap


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Seattle
December 30th 2005
Published: December 31st 2005
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

From Rose to Emerald

The drive from Portland to Seattle was a bit rainy, but still nice.

As Marce learned this morning, allergies have a funny way of turning into colds. While Marce slept in to recover as quickly as possible, Allen discussed several of his business ideas with Diego. It seems that Diego has saved his piece de resistance - homemade pancakes with real maple syrup! Tara, always the gracious host, steeped a warm cup of Gypsy's Cold Remedy tea for Marce and alleviated Marce's doubts by explaining that both she and Zoe had just gotten over a mild cold days before. What originally was scheduled to be an early morning departure, quickly turned into an early afternoon while Marce napped and Allen finished packing our things.

Minutes after leaving the Davila home, we found ourselves on a green steel bridge crossing the Columbia River. We were surrounded by signs thanking us for visiting Oregon, announcing our departure from Portland, welcoming us to Washington State, and announcing our entry into Vancouver (which, by the way, does not have any property taxes...interesting!).

The drive to Seattle was riddled with traffic and drizzling rain, with the occasional waterfall to bring a smile to our faces. We stopped for lunch in Tumwater, Washington at a local Arby's, renewing Allen's long-lost love for roast beef. Across the street stood a road sign pointing south for Portland and north for Seattle. We giggled quietly, realizing how symbolic that sign was of our quest.

Our trusty camera had its first day of rest on this journey, since Allen, the usual cameraman/navigator/co-pilot did all of the driving while Marce slept. We entered Seattle during rush-hour traffic, continuing our aforementioned pattern of viewing our potential cities during realistic situations. Bumper-to-bumper, we edged our way in to the Seattle Center, where we found our favorite low-budget residence of choice: La Quinta Inn. As The Girl continued her long winter's nap on the road to recovery, The Boy explored the Wikipedia and other interesting websites, gathering more information and tools to help make an educated decision for our future. Tomorrow we will get a 360 degree, panoramic view of Seattle from atop the Space Needle as we ring in the new year with a 6-course dinner, live music, and fireworks. Both Marce and our camera will certainly wake from their hibernation by then! ;o)

Advertisement



1st January 2006

Happy new year! Sounds like you two are having a blast so far. Hope you kick the cold soon, Marce. Have fun! --Matt

Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb