San Juan Island Adventure


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2014
Edit Blog Post

It was in the back of everyone's mind at the welcome dinner the evening prior, though nobody dared mention it. The rain was pouring on Saturday, and we were going to drag our poor international guests across Puget Sound and to an exposed shorefront park in this weather? We might as well have rebooked their flight home for Monday morning!

We woke up to a brilliant surprise however... Sun! Our biggest concern turned out to be sun burn.

We met at the Anacortes Ferry Terminal at a quarter to nine, or thereabouts, and proceeded to fill the diminutive walk on waiting area with rambunctious students primed for a day of adventure. This would be a harbinger of things to come for our fellow passengers on the state ferry Kaleetan. We made our presence felt on board in both directions, but it was all in good fun.

Once in Friday Harbor, group one made their way to the Whale Museum while others perused the still sleepy town. It won't be long before Friday Harbor transforms into a bustling summertime tourist magnet for travelers from around the world. For now however, it is a quiet a relaxing respite from the rush and realities of life as part of this exciting exchange.

At the museum, we learned hand on about the local marine mammals. Specifically the resident Orcas of J, K and L pod as well as the transient Orcas who pass through the waters of Puget Sound. We also got to learn about the other species of whale that frequent the area including Grey, Minke and Humpback. The docent's did a phenomenal job of relaying all the information in a manner in which our German guests could easily understand. The hands on exhibits including actual whale skeletons captured everyone's complete attention. The need to protect our local and global environment and the creatures with which we share this planet were also key topics in the presentation. It was a great visit and our students handled themselves with poise, attentiveness and polite demeanor's.

Our next destination was an active one. On to Lime Kiln State Park for some whale waiting (you can't really call it watching if they aren't there), rock climbing, trail and lighthouse exploring and a much needed vitamin D injection.

At Lime Kiln we were treated to a distant visit by a group of porpoises, and a quick hello from a couple of sea lions. In between and on both ends of these visits, kid and adult alike simply enjoyed the environment and the company. Organized and not so organized games broke out, as did effortless relaxation. It was a great place to sit back and just take it all in.

But alas, it was time to depart for home. At least we had some more time in the quaint but growing town of Friday Harbor again before it was back on the boat.

Tomorrow the group is getting an early start in setting off for a full day of exploring Vancouver. It should be a phenomenal day for everyone lucky enough to attend!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.54s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 12; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1296s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb