Many Adventures on the Olympic Peninsula


Advertisement
Published: August 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Marina at SequimMarina at SequimMarina at Sequim

The grey building at the left is the Dockside Restaurant where we had lunch. Beautiful view of the harbor.
We have been on the peninsula for almost a week. We have had a great time exploring the area. After the crab trapping which only yielded the one small crab we decided to drive north on the peninsula along the eastern shore toward Port Angeles. Beautiful drive through forested area folloing the Hood Canal most of the way. Had lunch at the Dockside Restaurant at the marina in Sequim. Delicious! David had a fried fish filet sandwich. I had the bouilliabase which had salmon, shrimp, scallops, oysters and clams. We then went to Graymarsh Farms where you can pick your own berries or lavendar. A field of lavendar in bloom is a sight to behold. We picked raspberries (best I've ever had), loganberries and blackberries and bought a bunch of lavendar as well as 2 artichokes. Have never seen artichokes growing before. Made loganberry turnovers the first night and blackberry ones the next night. Difficult to do without an oven, but we managed. Cooked them the first night on the barbecue and the second night used a fry pan on the stove. The crust was less than optimal, but the berries made up for it.

The next day we decided
Lavendar FieldLavendar FieldLavendar Field

The picture doesn't do justice to the experience. Vivid lavendar. Spectacular.
to kayak on the Hood Canal. Followed the shore south for a couple of miles and then came back. On the way down we noticed a small motel and attached snack bar right on the canal with stairs down to the canal. Decided that would be a good place to stop on the way back for a cold beverage. As we pulled up to shore a man came out and asked if he could help us. David said we were looking for a cold beverage. He asked if we wanted a beer or a soda and we ordered one of each. He told us to not bother getting out of the kayaks, he would bring the drinks to us. What service! After we got our drinks and David got out his wallet to pay, the man said this wasn't a business just his home and we were welcome to the drinks. Had a good visit with him, He and 2 friends bought the motel together, not as a business but as a summer place. They each have 2 units and they share the snack/cooking area. He gave us some tips on places to eat in the area, collected our empty
David in the RainforestDavid in the RainforestDavid in the Rainforest

Many downed trees along the trail. These are called "nurse trees" since other trees then root and grow from them. Great source of nutrients and water for the new trees.
cans when we were finished and we went on our way. That is hospitality!

Saturday, we decided to see the western part of the peninsula. There are 2 rainforest areas in the park. We went to the Quinalt Rain Forest. These areas get 120-180 inches of rain per year!! A little different than Nevada which averages about 3 inches per year. We took the 4 mile nature hike through the rain forest area. Very interesting scenery with interpretive signage along part of the trail with great information. We then drove on to the ocean. Clouds had just rolled in so very gray and cool. Interesting to see. The beach itself is nice sand, with a wide strip of gravel behind it and stacks of drifwood including complete trees. Can tell from the trees along the shore that the winds are pretty fierce in this area.

Yesterday, was our major kayaking experience. We kayaked about 10 miles and we felt it when we were done. We kayaked down the Hood Canal and then across the channel, down further and then across the channel at the base of the canal to Union City. Our plan was to go to a
Quinalt RainforestQuinalt RainforestQuinalt Rainforest

Lots of moss on the trees. Dense ground cover including many ferns.
resort our beverage friend had told us about, but decided it was too far. Had a great lunch at the Union City Cafe and then kayaked back home. This was the longest and most difficult kayaking trip I have ever done and it will probably keep that distinction. Kayaking down the canal was not bad, but going across the channels was hard paddling. Couldn't rest while making the cross or the tide would carry you back. The amazing thing is, as you cross the channel you can tell the shore you came from is receding, but for some reason the shore you are going to just doesn't seem to get any closer for a long long time. As you can imagine this pretty well filled our day. We started around 10:00 AM and got back to the dock around 4:00.

It has continued to be hot the entire time we have been hear, but has been mostly in the 80's after the first day of over 100 degree temps. Nice and cool in the evenings. Today is starting out cool and grey, clouds may leave as the day progresses. Tomorrow we leave for Yakima and then the Tri-Cities so
Barbara At The OceanBarbara At The OceanBarbara At The Ocean

I can't go to the ocean and not get my feet wet. It wasn't as cold as I thought, but not exactly warm either.
today we will do some reorganizing and prep for travel tomorrow. May take one last kayak trip on the canal, but it will be short and just along the shoreline today.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Windswept BeachWindswept Beach
Windswept Beach

Rocks behind the sandy beach all very smooth and oval from water. Huge stacks of dead wood.
Art on the BeachArt on the Beach
Art on the Beach

This large tree stump sat along on the beach battered by the elements. Very striking.


3rd August 2009

Rain Forest
Loved your journal once again! I remember the huge yellow banana slugs in the rain forest! Hope you got to see some of them. Squim is a really nice area too...cedar forests and rocky shores is what I remember. Hey, I'll bet you slept really well after that channel kayaking day! You must also be able to catch all the wild black berries as you travel home through Oregon! I expect you will be blue by the time you get home ( from eating so many blackberries) Best wishes for continued happy travel adventures!

Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb