Skagit Valley Tulip Festival


Advertisement
Published: April 18th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Talgo Amtrak TrainTalgo Amtrak TrainTalgo Amtrak Train

We take the train from Seattle to Bellingham.
Forty of us caught the Talgo (European) Amtrak train from Seattle to Bellingham on April 8, 2010 with Alki Tours. It was a cloudy day, but the cumulus clouds promised spring was coming. We zoomed past the Edmonds Ferry Terminal and the Everett Naval Base, through fields of hops and cabbage, and stopped briefly in Mount Vernon. Our destination was Bellingham where we arrived an hour later and explored the Cruise Terminal in Old Town Fairhaven.

Our driver, Ariel, had our motor coach waiting for us and off we went to brunch at Chuckanut Manor. Our coach was too large to negotiate the curves of Chuckanut Drive, so we took I-5 to the Bow Hill exit, drove through Blanchard, and turned right onto Chuckanut Drive. Chuckanut Manor Bed and Breakfast is owned and operated by Pat and Lois Wolcott. Pat's father established the restaurant 40 years ago in 1970. What a delicious feast they presented! There were pastries, eggs benedict, scrambed eggs, salads, oysters and salmon, ham and prime rib. In addition, there's a breathtaking view of Padilla Bay and Anacortes.

From here, we drove through the little town of Edison where, our tour guide told us, the famous
Ferry TerminalFerry TerminalFerry Terminal

Cruises leave from the terminal in Fairhaven.
newscaster Edward R. Murrow grew up. Traveling on the Farm to Market Road, we neared LaConner and Beaver Marsh Road, the site of RoozenGaarde Tulip Farm. William Roozen emigated from Holland in 1947. He died in 2002. With his five sons and daughter, he built Washington Bulb Company, the largest bulb farm in America. There are 2,000 acres of daffodils, tulips, and iris, and 15 acres of greenhouses where flowers are picked year round.

During the month of April, fields are alive with brilliant colors that attract thousands of visitors. Roads are filled for miles, especially during the weekends, with eager gardners wanting to buy bulbs and bright flowers. Other ways to view the fields are by bicycle, boat, helicopter, and airplane.

On Best Road, Anthony DeGoede started Tulip Town twenty years ago in 1990. An authentic Dutch windmill is found amid 15 acres of colorful tulips. Trolley rides for $2.00 carry you out past homesteads with bright red barns. Souvenir vendors, fresh flowers and bulbs are found at both farms.

Visitors never tire of celebrating spring at the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. And no wonder! There are 88 varieties of tulips and 135 varieties of daffodils,
Taylor Shellfish CompanyTaylor Shellfish CompanyTaylor Shellfish Company

Oyster farm near Blanchard.
crocus, iris, and hyacinths a-blooming!



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Chuckanut Bed & BreakfastChuckanut Bed & Breakfast
Chuckanut Bed & Breakfast

Pat and Lois Wolcott are the owners.
Brunch BuffetBrunch Buffet
Brunch Buffet

A feast of breakfast treats with seafood.
Expansive ViewExpansive View
Expansive View

Padilla Bay and Anacortes stretch before us.
EdisonEdison
Edison

Edward R. Murrow went to school here.
Roozen WindmillRoozen Windmill
Roozen Windmill

William Roozen brought this windmill from Holland.
Display GardenDisplay Garden
Display Garden

The family changes designs every year.
In the GardenIn the Garden
In the Garden

Bright colors are artfully designed
Fields of ColorFields of Color
Fields of Color

Brilliant colors glow both near and far.
Little GirlLittle Girl
Little Girl

"Look, Mommy, a windmill!"
Old BarnOld Barn
Old Barn

Spring flowers frame an old barn.
Flower BorderFlower Border
Flower Border

Flower bed with a view.
Garden CircleGarden Circle
Garden Circle

A favorite place to take a photo.
Spring is Here!Spring is Here!
Spring is Here!

A late snow lingers on the hills.
Earth and SkyEarth and Sky
Earth and Sky

People love to walk the fields.
Tulip TownTulip Town
Tulip Town

Anthony DeGoede brought a windmill from Holland.
Color AboundsColor Abounds
Color Abounds

Yellows and reds stretch for miles.
Trolley Ride?Trolley Ride?
Trolley Ride?

Catch a 20-minute trolley ride for $2!
Colors GaloreColors Galore
Colors Galore

Purples and pinks fill the horizon.
My FavoriteMy Favorite
My Favorite

This is my favorite with old homesteads in the background.
Do we have to go?Do we have to go?
Do we have to go?

It's four o'clock and time to return to Seattle.
A Full DayA Full Day
A Full Day

I'm tired, windbown, cold, but happy I came!


18th April 2010

Beautiful!!!
Wonderful photographs, Shirley. I'm so glad you shared them with us. The brilliant tulip fields and displays simply shout, "Happy Spring!"
19th April 2010

Hi, Your pictures are absolutely postecard perfect! What a beautiful day for sightseeing. The colors are so brilliant. Makes me miss the sights of "home."
20th April 2010

Thanks!
I appreciate your comments about the tulip fields. I thought they would help relieve any homesickness you might have in the spring. It was pure luck to get a sunny day--perfect for pictures! S.
20th April 2010

Thanks!
I appreciate your comments, Sherri. It was pure luck to go to the tulip fields on a sunny day--perfect for photos. I wonder if Koross would find a way to take any original photos that haven't been seen before?! S.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb