More Free Travel Classes


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Washington » Edmonds
June 20th 2011
Published: June 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

March 12, 2011

More free Rick Steves classes.

I know – my blog entries are riddled with that guy’s name, and sometimes I feel like I am a free publicist. But the reality is that the Rick Steves company offers the best resources for travel in Europe and I am taking full advantage of the freebies whenever I can. I offer no apologies.

The most recent freebie was another couple travel classes at the spring travel festival. I attended two classes: European Travel Skills with Rick Steves and Packing Light and Right with Joan Robinson.

European Travel Skills was intended to follow the guidebook Europe Through the Back Door. While informative, the lecture did go off topic several times, and it could be argued that the audience came away with more information about legalizing marijuana than precise methods of travel. I didn’t care, it was fun. At the least, it was a good refresher course to enjoyable travel. Some of the topics discussed included:

Time of year. One theme seriously emphasized in the lecture is that recommended travel for the Mediterranean is April and May, while July and August are good for visiting northern Europe. Some audience members took this to heart, so while the guidebook says August is least recommended for Italy, they went as far as to ask, “So, we can’t visit Italy in August?” Rick’s answer was good, “Look, if you are only able to go in August, go! Just understand that the weather will be extreme and most of the country is on holiday.”

Countering homesickness. Do as the locals do and immerse yourself in the culture. Be there, instead of spending your time mourning for your untended lawn. I really liked this part. The one person who can ruin your vacation is you. Enjoy where you are, or else you’ll feel worse when you get home, knowing what you missed abroad.

Money belts. Rick advocates for the money belt, describing it as an insurance policy and peace of mind. I’ve actually read a guide book which encourages travelers not to wear one. But Rick’s justifications seemed sound. For one, there’s practically zero risk of losing important documents to pick pockets. Speaking of pick pockets, Europe has a lot of them. Rick described the feeling of someone else’s hand reaching into his pocket as a “cultural experience.”

Ring, ring! Cell phones are now necessary tools for communication. Instead of trying to figure out how to use your current phone in Europe, just buy a cell phone there. It seems just like a pre-paid phone card, but it comes with the phone too. This is what I’ll be doing.

“Get a grip, or you’re part of the problem.” I loved this line. It was used in the discussion about terrorism, and how Americans are perpetually held in a state of fear. If you look at the numbers, you’re far more likely to be hit by a car than blown up by some radical on a European vacation. Get real, get a grip. Fear is for suckers.

Disney Magic Moment, or Europe Magic Moment. There is no formal definition of a “Disney magic moment,” though it makes me smile just thinking of it. I suppose you could describe it as having a huge surge of happiness by being part of the fantasy universe of Disney. It can stem from the smallest encounter but always leaves you glowing in its wake. So what does this have to do with a Europe trip? Everything. As soon as Rick used the words “magic moment,” I knew I was in the right place. What makes a vacation so memorable are these little magic moments, losing yourself for an instant in the world around you. The more you reach out and make a connection, be it with a piece of art or with another person, the more magic moments you will have.

Packing Light and Right was definitely geared more for women and men, and rightfully so. A guy can leave the house with the clothes on his person and a tooth brush and survive for weeks. If not restricted, a woman can pack five suitcases for a month on the road. Those who sign up for a Rick Steves tour are restricted to one piece of luggage and a day pack. Probably any seasoned traveler would agree and maybe argue this is still too much luggage. The lecture centered on how to pack using these strict guidelines and how to get the most wardrobe options out of your packing list.

I picked up a couple useful notes from this lecture. If you don’t plan to wear an article of clothing more than three times, don’t bring it. Rayon is back; the material doesn’t wrinkle. The most useful comment was about money belts – girls wear them backwards, on the small of the back. I tried it when I got home and it was way more comfortable. That bit alone made the lecture worth it.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.225s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 54; dbt: 0.081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb