Missing For Days - LOL


Advertisement
Published: July 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

July 14-18th

Sunday 14th

Happy Sunday! We watched GBC live streaming before leaving for Cape Disappointment SP in Washington. Just 50 miles up the coast and across the Astoria-Mengel Bridge, over the Columbia River.

Got set up in camp and then went t to the North Jetty. Saw both lighthouses and the Columbia River and Pacific Ocean Confluence. Really cold and windy.

After getting lots of great pictures of the rugged Pacific Coast and the calm, almost glass like river, we were ready for a quiet evening.

Travel Day to Washington and Cape Disappointment at the mouth of the Columbia River.

7/15/13 - Monday

A trip toLong Beachtoday and a beautiful day - in the low 60’s. On the way we see a Bald Eagle and by the roadside, a fawn with it’s Momma. A long boardwalk andLong Beachis the longest ‘drivable’ beach in the world. That part was fun, as were the little shops and the flowers and the people. One elderly gentleman, with his dog, started to chat with us. His dog was a French Bulldog and so sweet and charming. On the beach we saw lots of cormorants, pelicans and the ever-present sea gulls. On display at the boardwalk was the carcass of a Grey Whale. This is a migration point for them.

In the late afternoon we visited some friends of ours, from Florida, who are renting a cottage in Astoria, on the hill, with views of the ocean. And all the ocean going vessels are view-able from their bedroom balcony.

Back to the campground, late for us! But a great day!

7/16/2013 - Tuesday

A fun day today, starting at The Lewis and Clark Interpretive Museum– so many interesting facts about their trek to the Pacific and all the hardships with the elements and the Indians. Also toured the North Head Lighthouse and then headed into Astoria to the Maritime Museum. Met some friends there and took in the movie they were showing there – Sharks 3D. Very good and informative. After the movie, we went to The Wet Dog Pub for lunch, right on the water – goooood food! Halibut and Pulled pork. We waddled out of the restaurant.

Then to our friends’ cottage they’re renting for an evening of games and watching the boats go by on the ocean.

Today we saw beautiful, huge Sitka Spruce trees, more Cormorants and sea gulls.

July 17,2013 - Wednesday

Wednesday morning, it’s overcast and 57 degrees, but a nice, misty day. We leave for Memaloose SP today. Back we go toOregon.

Crossed theColumbia River4 different times today. At one crossing there was a huge logging yard right on the river where they send the logs downstream. Logs and mountains of sawdust everywhere.

We arrived at Multnomah Falls about 4 pm. Beautiful Falls, worth the stop. Got lots of pictures.

Get to the campground about5:30and now the temperature is 86. Not used to this! But there’s no humidity and it’s really pretty here on theColumbia River.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



18th July 2013

Well, just WOW!
Now you have about seen all there is I think. Doing wheelies on the beach..way to go. Really lovely. Thanks for sharing.....I think.
18th July 2013

This n that...
Cape D doesn't look at all disappointing to me! I'm jealous of your weather! And look at all the steps you got on that boardwalk! Does the ocean make you want to just sail away? It's impressive!
18th July 2013

Whew!
I was concerned, thinking you might have fallen off a cliff or something. What a trip you 2 are having. Much too much, FUN. You sure are missing LOTS of rain here.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb