San Francisco to Seattle - Almost


Advertisement
North America » United States » Washington » Aberdeen
July 26th 2011
Published: August 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Leaving San Francisco felt a lot like the beginning of our planned trip around the USA. Although we have been here a couple of weeks now, picking up the vehicle that should be ours until November and heading north it seemed to us that we were really on our way. There is still a need for us to properly equip ourselves for the journey. We will do that progressively over the next couple of weeks. Th... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

No road senseNo road sense
No road sense

Near Cosmopolis
Sunny todaySunny today
Sunny today

but the wind was still dismal
Golden grizzlyGolden grizzly
Golden grizzly

Near Cosmopolis
Public art, RaymondPublic art, Raymond
Public art, Raymond

All over this town, there were delightful cutouts/sculptures showing people at all sorts of activities
Golden GrizzlyGolden Grizzly
Golden Grizzly

guarding the bridge



3rd August 2011

Where next?
I figured you would rent a car and buy a tent as that is what you did in Europe, although the States is less expensive. Thanks for helping our economy, by the way. You didn't miss much at the Muir redwood forest since you saw other redwoods further north. That may be a rule you should follow...only visit the better of two similar destinations. That's what I usually do. You seemed indecisive as to which way to would proceed east. By now you have probably picked which route you will head east from Seattle. The northern Cascades are beautiful, but this might mean that you would miss Vancouver, Victoria, Jasper and Banff, which I certainly hope you do not do. If you cross the northern Cascsdes don't proceed any fruther east until you have looped back and, in the end after Banff, you will reach Glacier National Park I hope you have nice weather...winter sets in in mid-October in the higher latitudes and higher elevations. As you are over 62 you can by a pass for $10 that grants access to all National Parks and Forests for the rest of your life. Campgrounds in the National Parks are about $25 per night, and they often have showers, usually in the same building as the general store and laundromat. Any easward trip will require you to cross the Great Plains, and the less the plains the better. You can minimize the plains by heading southeast along the Rocky Mountians which will take you to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons and then further south to Salt Lake CIty, perhaps taking Dinosaur National Park, and Moab, Utah where you can see Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. You could go further south, but as you have to return to San Franciso, you should leave for the return trip the more southerly parks such as Great Sand Dunes, Mesa Verde, Monument Valley, and the Grand Canyon (north rim if you get there before it is closed, other wise the south rim) although going to the south rim makes a more lengthy drive to get to Bryce Canyon and Zion National Parks before arriving in Las Vegas. As you have already doe LA, from Las Vegas drive to the east entrance of Yosemite National Park before returning to San Francisco. Go east from Moab on I-70 and then a detour to Rocky Mountain National Park, although if you have seen Jasper and Banff, you can skip this park. Instead, if you are in the area after September 1 you can swing south on US24 at Avon/Vail and end up at our place in Woodland Park, CO for lunch or dinner. Let me know. After this you have the Great Plains. We are driving back east to visit family and friends between 13 and 31 August and dread the long boring drive. This time we are avoiding I-70 and taking US 50 to Wichita then south through OK and on I-40 through Arkansas to Memphis, where the plains end. We are hoping that changing routes will end our boredom, and we might see some authentic America in the process. Good luck on which route you take, and enjoy our great country.
3rd August 2011

Camping out
Glad there's room in the tent for me too! Should I bring a sleeping bag?
3rd August 2011

Love the wind blown trees.
Nice looking tent. Sounds like your plans keep changing and altering....nothing wrong with that. We spent a very nice weekend in Depoe Bay a few years ago. It was winter and there was a kick ass thunderstorm. The sea was raging. Glad you are getting in some hiking. You will love Glacier National Park. That is one of our favorites.
4th August 2011

Wind Blown Trees
Hi Dave and Merry Jo. We are now in Billings MT. Glacier was magnificent. Trying to get a post up on north Washington and Glacier now. But off to Yellowstone this morning so maybe a couple of days.
4th August 2011

Sleeping Out
Probably a good idea but it might be useful to pick up one here. They are cheaper. Love that exchange rate. Talk to you about it later.
4th August 2011

Thanks Bob
Appreciate all of the tips. Went to Banff and Jasper a couple of years ago and agree with you completely. May be back in your part of the country later in the year, early Nov possibly. Hope we can catch up.
4th August 2011

See the real Washington.
Take the Mountain Loop highway through Darington to Rt. 20 instead of interstate 90 over the Cascades. If it's clear, take a hike up Mt. Pilchuck. Go east on Rt. 20 at Rockport. Once you get to Pateros, go ride a boat on Lake Chelan or head east to the Grand Coulee Dam. Follow Rt. 2 from Wilbur to Spokane and back on to the interstate. By all means make sure you have plenty of picture storage before starting this trip into the Evergreen Outback. You won't be disappointed. Cheers.
12th August 2011

See the real Washington
Thanks Steve for your message. We did do basically as you suggested and we had a great time, as you'll see in the next post.

Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 19; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0401s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb