Blood, guts, gore and yes, glory too!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
February 27th 2020
Published: September 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

I buried myself momentarily in the deep and fascinating history of America's beginning when the new world revolted against the old and bitter conflict ended England's rule over her colony and the United States elected its great general, George Washington as its first President.

Some years later the Civil War then took its unrelenting toll on families, friendships, businesses and tore apart one entrenched lifestyle and sought to replace it with another. America's heart and soul are truly buried right here in Virginia and the environs, for here raged the most wrenching of discords between peoples with divergent ideas for building a new country. Contrary to popular thought, that devastating war was not only over slavery but first and foremost, over who would control the country. Slavery was the central part of an economic system that the Union ultimately opposed so that when Virginia seceded war was the logical consequence.

Many people are familiar with the old television series "North and South" that portrayed the times of the American Civil War and vividly showcased the trauma that tore open the heart of the country and destroyed families, businesses and long standing relationships.

That era has always fascinated me and I got the chance to finally visit many of the sites in the south that were the epicenter of both America's birth and evolution as a new country.

Our short visit took us first to New Jersey, as guests of a close childhood friend and then to Philadelphia where we attended the wedding of good friends' last son. From there we continued travelling by car through Washington DC and on to Virginia. It was opportune that we had not long before enjoyed the movie Lincoln and had the time to reflect on the great struggle that that great president spearheaded. Having also watched a master performance by Forest Wittaker in "The Butler", I began to grasp more fully, the awesome impact that the freeing of African slaves had on that fledgling society and the huge challenges for that race of people that linger to this day.

The blood of the Civil War, arguably spilled for both noble and ignoble goals, depending on which perspective it is looked at, is still being shed today both literally and metaphorically in what appears to the outside world to be an unending struggle that should have ceased in 1865. It is a legacy of stubborn and entrenched resistance to what was the right cause then, fought against unspeakable odds that ultimately cost Lincoln his life. The presidential elections that led to the Obama era was as typically acrimonious as many of the past, and has seemingly exposed deeply rooted animosity and brought it once again to the surface of a society in apparent perpetual turmoil.

And yet there is hope which springs eternal, deep in the hearts of good people without whom no battle against racism, segregation and injustice could ever be won for the descendants of the slaves of America or even for that matter, the forgotten poor whites and their descendants, long discarded into the vastness of the new colony by their elite colonial English rulers. Every coin has two sides and a deep appreciation for the latter's plight is graphically brought to life in the book "White Trash" (The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America) by Nancy Isenberg. Within both groups of the underprivileged and forgotten, individuals continue their perpetual ritual of historical animosity towards each other, disregarding, through obvious ignorance, the inescapably similar experience they unwittingly share.

Undoubtedly, the overwhelming majority of Americans today are totally oblivious of this most important part of their history, as they pursue the necessities of life and its day to day challenges. In it perhaps lies the crux of many of its current problems and, potentially, also its solutions. Only an eternal optimist like me, can envision a future America that embraces the ideals of hope that bind each other together rather than the discord of a 300-year legacy that as yet, still continues to divide. Perhaps that is just a pipe dream as it will take the skills of a leadership model of which there is clearly an obvious dearth, in these times.

In seeking office for the most powerful seat of influence, politicians from both major parties offer up their vision of a future clad in prosperity for all. It seems to me though, that in reality, both extremes have, arguably, perpetuated the notion of two Americas, fueled by the contemporary, largely selfish, often dishonest, sensational and ratings focused media, hungry to create news for itself, rather than serve the best interests of the ordinary citizenry.

For those who have never visited, it is a wonderful part of America for several reasons, including that of its tumultous history.

Enjoy the pictures that follow.

I wrote this piece in 2013 but only published it this month, February 2020.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Reading an 18 century documentReading an 18 century document
Reading an 18 century document

Inside the Capitol, the English Governor presided over all major aspects of life.
Preparing tents for the Confederate armyPreparing tents for the Confederate army
Preparing tents for the Confederate army

The process was re-enacted just as it was done in the civil war days. Special tents were made for the General and other ranking officers.


23rd September 2013

North and South
Beautifully written Roger. It always amazes that this period in time really wasnt that long ago. Love the photos! Thanks for sharing your experiences.
12th November 2013
The 18 century Capitol in Williamsburg

Where it all started...
Great photos and account of this important period in our history. The noble War of Independence and the sad history of the Civil War, which as you said, was fought more for economic supremacy in congress than for the more important cause of human rights. After that terrible war, there was such a chance for equality of opportunity, but instead the slave system was replaced by one almost as bad. Shame on us. Hopefully, someday, right will prevail. Great blog!

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb