Day 22 - Cabin Creek and Boone


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
August 6th 2009
Published: October 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Cabin CreekCabin CreekCabin Creek

Part of the Grayson Highlands State Park
Thursday

In the morning Martha and Jackson took me for a walk to Cabin Creek in the Grayson Highlands Park. It was a really nice walk. It was lightly raining, so the atmosphere was a little bit like an Australian rainforest, but still different. Check out the photos.

In the afternon, we drove to Boone (about an hour away...come to think of it everything was about an hour away). This was for a Fiddle class that Martha was doing. It was in a really nice community centre. I went with Jackson and his friend to pick out some wood at a sawmill/farm of a friend of a friend...you know what I mean. We got some nice timber anyway and it was an interesting experience.

I got to sit in on one of Martha's classes as well and learnt a couple more tunes. She's a good teacher.

After that we went for a walk around Boone. It's a cool town and home of the Appalachian State university, so it's a little bit trendy and there are young people around which is nice. It was the biggest town I had been in for a while so that was nice.

We had dinner at Thai restaurant and came back to the community centre for a bit of a jam with the locals and after that headed back home in the car, now with bits of Jackson's wood sticking out of various windows.

It was another great day of soaking up Virginia and it's music and hanging out with Martha and Jackson.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Woodshed in BooneWoodshed in Boone
Woodshed in Boone

This is where we Jackson and I went to check out some Fiddle wood
The woodThe wood
The wood

This was really interesting piece of wood with unusual grains
The ownersThe owners
The owners

These guys were pretty friendly. I guess you could call them hillbillies.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb