Yorktown, Virginia


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia
June 29th 2009
Published: June 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

British RedoubtBritish RedoubtBritish Redoubt

This is a dirt fort that is very beefy. Redoubts 9 and 10 were the last to fall. Alexander Hamilton took number 10 in ten minutes and is on the ten dollar bill.
oops, it looks like I did my blog entries a little out of order. Before we went to Appomattox we went to the Yorktown battle field. This was significant because it was more or less the final battle of the Revolutionary Warand Cornwalis had to surrender to Washington. The earthworks here are still very well defined. In a nutshell Washington out maneuvered Cornwalis and Clinton but there were other factors that worked in his favor. One was the weather in that it got bad and kept Cornwalis from getting his men across the York River to escape and also the French showed up finally and had the port blockaded. I am told that Mel Gibson in the movie "Patriot" had it pretty much all wrong but that is typical of Hollywood now isn't it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

BattlefieldBattlefield
Battlefield

Also looking from the British lines and earthworks.
Tour  guideTour  guide
Tour guide

She was pretty good but a little on the masculine side for my taste.
Victory MonumentVictory Monument
Victory Monument

It was a pivotal victory for the American cause.
British cannonBritish cannon
British cannon

It is pointed south and west toward the Americans and the French.
BattlefieldBattlefield
Battlefield

Another one looking out at the American and French earthworks.


Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb