Conclusion of Journey?


Advertisement
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

I initially began this entry as a long and ponderous musing upon the meaning of travel, what I discovered/learned, and culture shock. But then I decided that it was too heavy and there wasn't any way that I would ever finish it to my satisfaction to post. So, instead, I will leave you with the final version of my travel photographs, commented so that you'll know a few stories from the last leg of my journey, and a question.

Where next?


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Happy Feet?Happy Feet?
Happy Feet?

The boat tour through the "Ha Long Bay on Land" had us sitting in a small rowboat, which was rowed by the feet of this woman.
Ao DaiAo Dai
Ao Dai

Vietnamese schoolgirls, in their stunning uniforms. I want this style to catch on in the US.
Pagoda in HuePagoda in Hue
Pagoda in Hue

I forget the name of this pagoda now, but it's where a monk immolated himself in protest of Ho Chi Minh.
Mosaic Tiles at the Palace in HueMosaic Tiles at the Palace in Hue
Mosaic Tiles at the Palace in Hue

Look closely, and you'll see that this tower, nay the entire roof of this building, is covered in ceramic tiles. It's unbelievably gorgeous, glittering with color and shimmering in the bright sun.
Tau CocTau Coc
Tau Coc

The karst mountains in this region were unbelievably beautiful. The roads curved right through their midst, leaving you feeling lost and dwarfed despite the certainty of the pavement beneath your wheels.
Hoan Kiem LakeHoan Kiem Lake
Hoan Kiem Lake

This is the postcard-perfect view of the bridge across Hoan Kiem Lake to the island pagoda in the middle, in Hanoi.
Suprising CaveSuprising Cave
Suprising Cave

That is the name of this cave, which has three gargantuan chambers which are lit up like Disneyland. Not that it's bad, since it gives it the feel of an indoor rock concert or perhaps the set of a Star Trek film.
Sunset in Ha Long BaySunset in Ha Long Bay
Sunset in Ha Long Bay

I spent one night on a boat in Ha Long Bay, and this was the sunset I was offered. Not too shabby, eh?
Stele in the National UniversityStele in the National University
Stele in the National University

These stele recorded the examination results across eight centuries worth of mandarin questionings. The turtle represents longevity.


15th July 2007

Thats it?
I thought you were then going through India, Africa, Europe then South America?!? ha ha. Loved all your travel pictures. since New Zealand. Where next? Back to work- retirement is just around the corner! Sound exciting? It isnt.

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb