The Glory of the New(ish) South


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Richmond
March 13th 2011
Published: January 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Jefferson Hotel RotundraJefferson Hotel RotundraJefferson Hotel Rotundra

One of the most famous (and luxurous) rooms in Richmond
Today, for the most part, was another day for rest, bills, and laundry.

It did have one very significant cultural site.

In 1898, Lewis Ginter, who had made a fortune in tobacco, decided to build the finest hotel in the world.

It would show the world that Richmond had recovered from the devastation of the Civil War and was once again an equal of cities in the North.

He named it after Thomas Jefferson.

The hotel got on the world’s social calendar immediately, by hosting the marriage of Charles Dana Gibson, the patrician artist who created the Gibson Girl prints.



The hotel remained a glorious place to stay until the Depression hit.

A long slow decline followed, until new owners brought it back to its original grandeur.

The hotel is now so luxurious it’s one of less than fifty to hold both the AAA Five Diamonds and Mobile Five Stars awards.

It’s one of the best hotels in the Southeast, and the center of genteel Richmond society.

It also has the rare distinction of having some of the lowest room rates available for hotels in this class, so if I wanted to experience this side of
Jefferson Hotel Palm CourtJefferson Hotel Palm CourtJefferson Hotel Palm Court

The Palm Court. The statue of Thomas Jefferson was being restored, so its surrounded by scaffolding.
southern society, now was the time.

My budget is going to hurt for a while afterward, but it was worth it.



The hotel is famous for its breathtaking public rooms.

The lobby is called the Palm Court.

It contains a series of stained glass windows with a palm leaf motif, all under a stained glass ceiling.

In the center is a statue of Thomas Jefferson by Edward Valentine, who did multiple statues of famous Confederate generals around Richmond (he did the gravestone statues for both Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson).

Currently, the statue is surrounded by tasteful tables and chairs where the hotel serves tea.

When the hotel opened, these areas were pools with real palm trees.

Richmond residents started to abandon pet alligators they had bought in Florida in the pools, which became as famous as the statue.

The last one lived in the pool until 1948!



Next to the lobby is the stunning Rotunda, which is shown in every picture of the hotel.

It’s a two story room made entirely of marble and plaster.

A series of marble columns runs around the edge of
The Rotundra StaircaseThe Rotundra StaircaseThe Rotundra Staircase

The famous Jefferson Hotel Rotundra staircase. Many people can't resist recreating scenes from Gone With the Wind when they see it.
the room.

The second story is a series of balconies between the columns.

Running from the second floor lobby to the bottom is a sweeping staircase covered in red carpet.

Many believe this staircase inspired the design of Tara in Gone With the Wind, although the movie’s set designer is on record stating this is not the case.

Tourists (including me) can’t resist taking pictures of it anyway.



This type of hotel requires more than just a stunning lobby area.

The rooms are pretty nice too.

The size is decent, the bathroom is filled with amenities, and the wifi works like a charm.

The bed is really comfortable, to the point I’ll likely have trouble getting up tomorrow.

The staff is courteous and professional.

I ran out of cologne this morning, and they knew where to find the specific type I like.

After meeting someone once or twice, they greet you by name.

I had a long discussion with my brunch server about the Picasso show.



The southern luxury experience really shone through during brunch.

Every Sunday, the hotel turns the Rotunda into a brunch as luxurious as
Jefferson Rotundra BrunchJefferson Rotundra BrunchJefferson Rotundra Brunch

Rotundra at the Jefferson Hotel during Sunday Brunch. Expensive but worth it.
the setting.

It’s all you can eat, and features dozen of different stations serving a wide variety of food.

People recommend skipping dinner afterward it’s so good.

I ended up eating several Southern specialties, including grits mixed with cheese, Virginia ham (from Virginia no less!) and red velvet cake.

They had a waffle station with more toppings than most people can imagine.

I had mine with caramel syrup and chocolate cookie pieces, which was heavenly.

The food is paired with all the champagne one can safely drink.

A jazz quartet playing in a corner completed the atmosphere.

For me, the whole experience felt like a fantasy, until the bill finally arrived.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Jefferson HotelJefferson Hotel
Jefferson Hotel

Entrance to the grandest hotel in Richmond
Alligator statueAlligator statue
Alligator statue

Tribute to the alligators which once lived in the Jefferson fountain
Rotunda entranceRotunda entrance
Rotunda entrance

Top of the stairway into the Rotundra
RotundraRotundra
Rotundra

View from the stairs
RotundraRotundra
Rotundra

View from the far side of the room
Jefferson phonesJefferson phones
Jefferson phones

Truly old phones at the Jefferson
Beautiful street artBeautiful street art
Beautiful street art

Found near the Jefferson


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0819s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb