Summary of 09 Florida Trip


Advertisement
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Richard and JohnRichard and JohnRichard and John

On the back porch in TN, just relaxing
Well, we have been home from Florida for 4 weeks and I am just now getting around to tallying up the trip.
We noticed some significant differences in costs from last year. Gas prices are down and although we drove further, we spent a lot less. That's good news and means maybe we'll be more inclined to get out more this year.
We traveled over 2100 miles and used 206 gallons. That's an average of 10.4 MPG and for a motorhome hauling a 400 pound motorscooter plus all our "stuff" and water, that's pretty good. Gas cost $406 for an average cost per gallon of $1.97. Last year gas was averaging $3.55.
We were on the road for 17 nights. As usual, we stayed in a WalMart our first night out, but spent 11 nights in campgrounds. We stayed 3 nights with the kids in Jacksonville and 2 nights with Colemans in GA. Our campground fees cost a total of $207 for an average per campground per night of $19. When you add in the nights in a parking lot or at a friends, the average cost per night for lodging was a bit over $12. Try and find a room on-line for that rate! (Yeah, yeah, I know, got to factor in the cost of the RV. OK, then YOU add in the cost of YOUR car on a trip.)
As was obvious, eating out was an objective this trip, particularly along the Gulf Coast. We ate out 9 different times and spent about $325. Four of those times we took out guests. So total was 25 different meals. We had good food and great fellowship. I did not consider the cost of groceries during the trip because we brought a lot of food with us and replenished it along the way, then ended up putting food back in the refrigerator when we got home.
This year, unlike last, we had no major or minor issues with the coach requiring repair stops or delays. The repair we did in Jacksonville with the cabinet maker was short and not costly--$75 to fix the pull out drawers and reinforce them in the bedroom.
So, what were the total costs? Gas-$406, Lodging- $207, Eating out-$325, Repair-$75 Total= $1013. Divided by the 17 days and our "daily cost" was a bit over $59 a day. That's almost $22 less than last year!!
Highlights of
Steve and DeniseSteve and DeniseSteve and Denise

Steve and Denise did not bring Oliver to the campground; he was back in their RV
the trip were first seeing family and friends. Yes, the country is beautiful, but family is too. We can't wait to finally retire (although until the economy fully recovers and housing prices return to a better level, we'll have to wait) and then we can see family and friends scattered all over AND see the country. Given the problems of GM, I am reminded of the old Dinah Shore TV show (yes, showing my age) when the theme song was "See the USA, in your Chevrolet"; I think we'll be singing "See the USA in our big RV."


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Cat adapting to life on the roadCat adapting to life on the road
Cat adapting to life on the road

We noticed the cats were much calmer this time out. Domino actually got out several times on his own and always stayed close and came in when called.
Josh and JenJosh and Jen
Josh and Jen

They still look like newlyweds after 4 years!


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb