Helping the newbies


Advertisement
Published: March 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Our Shakedown camping at Fort AP HillOur Shakedown camping at Fort AP HillOur Shakedown camping at Fort AP Hill

Fort AP Hill has a nice area, though the hookups are sometimes on the wrong side, and sometimes non-existent. Most of the 50amp service is used by "seasonals", some of whom have been there over a year!
Did you see the movie "RV" with Robin Williams? Problem was, he tried to go RVing without help. Well, at the Richmond RV show a month ago, we took some friends who wanted to see different RVs and maybe get information on rentals so they could "try" RVing. We left them alone for a bit, and next thing we knew, they had bought a 32' Class A Hurricane. Beautiful coach with a delightful dining "nook" to sit in, 2 slides, and lots of bells and whistles. Only problem was, they had never been camping in one before, and I'm not sure when the last time they camped was. We congratulated them, got excited for them, and then wondered what we had created.
Trish and I volunteered to take them to pick up their coach so they could ride home together and get the feel. We also went through the inspection with them, learning how things worked, hoping we would be able to help if they had questions later. We shared checklists (pre and post trip) and showed them how we packed our RV and some of the things we had, and then promised to take them camping overnight and help them
Avoiding the Robin Williams experienceAvoiding the Robin Williams experienceAvoiding the Robin Williams experience

It really does take four hands to get the connector put on properly.
set up and get accustomed to the new coach. Trish took Annette to a local RV dealer (closer than where they had purchased the coach) and helped her pick out necessities, like a longer sewer hose, electrical adapters, and other essentials.
This past weekend we went to Fort AP Hill, near Richmond and only a 25 mile drive, to camp and share the wonderful RVing experience with them. We explained that the first trip is always close to home and short to work out kinks, find out what needs to be fixed or replaced, and clear the cobwebs after both the coach and the brains sitting idle for the winter.
We had had our coach out for the trip to FL in January. We were confident we were in pretty good shape; just needed to clean the outside and inside a bit. And Trish has finally pounded in my head to check all fluids and tire pressure prior to the trip. In checking the tire pressure, I found the left rear inside wheel would not give a reading. I presumed the valve was stuck so decided to get up extra early Saturday and put air in to be safe. That
Struggling with the sewer connectorStruggling with the sewer connectorStruggling with the sewer connector

Kurt struggles while Annette watches in bemusement. Sally (the dog) is also interested. And Sally also loves her new RV.
morning, I found I couldn't get air in the tire. So now it was grab a coffee in a hurry and drive to the tire store to have them check. We got there 15 minutes after they opened (0800) and were next in line. 2 1/2 hours later, they finally were able to look at it; turns out I had a puncture and it had to be repaired. Thirty minutes later, and $20 lighter, we were finally off to the camping.
Kurt and Annette called and had found a nice site and saved one next to them for us. They had slides out, water hooked up and were waiting for help with the sewer. We pulled in and I quickly hooked up electric and sewer, then had lunch. After lunch I did my water then went to help Kurt hook up the sewer hose. He had been given a courtesy hose that was 10' long. Most sewers are further from the coach than that, so to avoid messes on the ground and his shoes, we had recommended a 20' hose and a clear connector so he could tell when the tanks were no longer draining. That was the problem; getting
Good friends relaxingGood friends relaxingGood friends relaxing

Kurt, Annette, and Trish sitting next to the new RV. The weekend weather was wonderful...in the 70s for mid March.
the connector on the hose. Kurt tried and couldn't get it; I tried and couldn't get it. We tried together and still it wouldn't go on. Finally I gave up and called Trish. She and Kurt pulled and twisted and finally got the connector on. Then he could hook up and drain the grey water, filled from rinsing the lines of the winterizing anti-freeze.
Meanwhile, back at our RV, Trish noticed that the water pump kept coming on for a short burst and then shutting off. Once I hooked to city water, it was fine. But when Trish turned on the water heater to do dishes, no hot water. I wondered if we had a leak, and if it was connected to the water heater, but was tired and so took a nap. I woke up and had figured it out; there was an air bubble in the hot water line. I pulled the pressure valve on the heater, got scalded with the hot water, and Trish soon reported....no hot water. I mumbled and fumbled and finally found a valve way back under I must have turned when I winterized the coach after our trip, but because it was cold,
Trish and Slinky enjoying campTrish and Slinky enjoying campTrish and Slinky enjoying camp

We always find camping relaxing, even when we have problems with the RV. And Slinky came along with us and enjoyed sitting in the door looking out. (I tried to take her for a walk, but that was more than she was ready for.)
snowy, and dark, I had forgotten. Once I turned that, we had hot water.
That evening we had a nice dinner with both couples sitting at a picnic table outside and we complimented them on the great job they had done setting up. They were pleased with themselves and with how much they enjoyed the ambiance of camping. We went in and did our dishes and were kicking back to relax, when Kurt called on the cell phone. "I don't have any hot water. Can you come help?" So off we went. Kurt took off panels, found valves, and we prodded, switched valves, and tried to figure out what was wrong. His water heater was on gas and the flame was on. Having learned my lesson from my own hot water tank, I let Trish pull the pressure valve. Being smarter than me, she refused, so I popped it and got scalded again. Yep, they had hot water; just not in the coach. We worked on combinations and looked for a missing valve for over an hour. I poured through the literature on the coach they had and even went and got maintenance manuals from ours. No luck. Finally we apologized for not being able to help and went back to our coach for the night.
Next morning, we had a delightful hike around the lake, spotted a beaver lodge, flushed a deer and found the skeleton of a dead deer. It was peaceful and calm and very relaxing. Plus we got in a bit of exercise we both could use.
Meanwhile back at the coaches, Kurt was still fiddling with valves, convinced he was one valve away from finding the answer. We recommended he call the dealer, explain the problem and see if they could talk him through a solution. We all had lunch and then started cleaning up and getting ready to leave. As I was putting away the water hose for the fresh water, I thought I'd mention to Kurt to be sure and drain the hose then screw the ends together so he wouldn't have water in his storage bin. He was ahead of me, draining his hose. I mentioned screwing the ends and he understood. Then he almost made a big mistake; he went to pull out his sewer hose. "WAIT!" I yelled. Then I explained you disconnect from the coach first, drain the hose of any remaining effluent towards the sewer, and lastly , pull up the hose from the sewer. As he walked through it, he realized there was something still in the hose. He just saved himself from changing his socks and buying new shoes!
We went back to cleaning up when he called us over. "There's all this water under the coach," he said. We looked and sure enough, two drains were pouring water our from the middle of the underside. Must have opened a valve to drain the tanks, and the valve isn't labeled. He didn't recall doing that, and in the midst of our discussion, Annette called from inside; "Kurt, there's water on the floor in the bathroom!" He rushed in, I was close behind, and Trish ran back to our coach for old towels. There was water, but not a lot. We again have no idea how or where it came from. Now both of them were upset and sure this should not have happened.
Well, it shouldn't, but it did. We explained that's why we do a shakedown trip in the spring and better to find it now and here than 200 miles down the road with no support. Annette didn't feel a brand new coach should have these problems. In a way, she is right. But considering the various systems they have: electric, A/C, heating, water, sewer, refrigeration, gas stove, microwave, hydraulics, not to mention the engine, brakes, and transmission, and it's amazing that so little was wrong. It's not the dealer's fault. It's not their fault, and it's not the fault of the manufacturer. So much is being put together that it's almost inevitable something will be a problem.
They finished cleaning up, did a last walk around the coach to make sure everything was right, and then pulled out. We told them again that they had really learned a lot and did very well. Now they need to get the coach back in and find out what went wrong, take really good notes, and take the time to label each valve as to WHAT it is and which way is should be to function properly.
Trish and I finally got everything put away and headed home. We'll be heading out again this coming weekend for a longer trip (2 nights) with other friends at a nearby state park. Coming up in April is the first Good Sam campout and later it's off to Florida to see the kids and our new grandson, again. Yep, camping season is here.

Advertisement



25th March 2010

Glad to Be of Assistance
Sir: I'm the garrison commander of Fort A.P. Hill. Glad to see your post! We'd love to hear any comments you might have to make your experience even better when you return. Kind regards, LTC Jack Haefner

Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0994s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb