DeWitts, Air Space Museum and Miller Family


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Virginia » Ashburn
August 25th 2016
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.0516, -77.4831

Editor's NOTE: Normally Glenn proof-read's my blog and does some major editing, however I am not asking him to do this for me, since he needs a break. So bear with me if there are misspelled words and the grammar is incorrect. Thanks for reading.

I couldn't believe it, but I slept in til 8:30am this morning. I did get up several times during the night. Glenn said "be sure and take your flash light." Dark here. Glenn covered up the small basement windows, so no sun came through, that is how I got to sleep so well.

We were running the hot shower for a bit, which made the alarm go off. Glenn just waved the towel in front of the smoke detector, to turn the high pitched sound down.

We had a great visit with Courtney in the morning, and she suggested that we go to the Reston Town Center to meet up with Lisa and Rachel DeWitt for lunch. Courtney told us how to go so we could avoid the one "huge" toll. We arrived at the "Trader Joe's" store and I noticed a diner, called Silver Diner. Unique, different. So, I texted Rachel and asked her if
that would be ok. Fine.

Rachel and her mother arrived just before noon, and we sat there in the corner booth table and talked a mile a minute. I had told Glenn that we know the DeWitts because they came up to our missionary booth when we attended the RBC Mission Conference in 2010. They get our email, and 16 year old Rachel sends me drawings once of month - sometimes she draws them and takes a pictures, or most recently, she has a way to "draw" on her computer. So, we have only seen the DeWitts once - 6 years ago. Rachel reminded me that I had given her a "sample bottle" of the ash from the volcano that blew earlier that year, and they had one of the Guatemalan hand made drink coasters.

We talked about Rachel's 23 year old brother, Joe, who had died 4 months ago from a heart attack. Wow. My eyes cried and my heart was broken when Lisa told us the story. I just listened. What can you say? We asked some more "leading questions" that helped explain more. In summary, we can only thank the Lord, we don't know how and why, but we have hope. They talked about some other family disappointments and we shared also.

Glenn reminded me that most recently, the folks we have visited, have had some great losses. The emotions are raw and they are hurting. We can only pray that our time with people on this journey is encouraging and that they go away blessed. We were emotionally exhausted for hearing the pain and hurt that the DeWitt family has been through. We hugged and we cried.

We had a few gifts to give Lisa and Rachel - Guatemala coffee, another coaster and maybe something else. However, now it was our turn to receive! 😊 Rachel pulls out of her purse, some gifts for us. She gave us some homemade cookies and a shell that she had picked up on the beach and had painted the Guatemala flag and also the Guatemalan flower. Beautiful. Monja Blanca - which translates as White Nun. The flower is white and looks like the hat or covering that Nuns wear.

After a very delightful lunch, we headed to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum out near Dulles Airport. We went immediately to the 2:40pm showing of the 3D about Space Exploration and beyond.

I really enjoyed this museum. 3 Things
Enola Gay (plane that dropped the first atomic bomb in Japan)Air France Concorde
and the space shuttle, Discovery.There were other air-craft that were unique such as one of the first airplanes that was part of Delta Airlines, the smallest plane ever built and Steve Fossett's plane (Virgin Atlantic) that flew around the world.

This museum is really worth a visit. As we walked through the museum, I kept thinking "I bet my 5 year old grandson, David, would love this place. Planes everywhere, hanging from the ceiling, on the floor and space ships too. I would love to see the big smile on his face if he could spend a day at the Air and Space Museum with his GrandDad and Grammie."

After the Air and Space Museum, we headed to the Miller's house. But first, the Home Depot, as Glenn wanted to get some wiring for 2 lights at the Cassada's house.We had dinner with Jay and Debbie Miller and their 3 kids. Great conversations. Laughs. The kids asked some great questions about life on the mission field. They are taking Spanish and last year, we visited with 17 year old Emma who had come down to work with the Ericksons in Guatemala. Again we were blessed with dear friends that were encouraging to us.

The Millers are a part of a "small group" that adopted us back in 2010 when were were at Reston Bible Church's mission conference. They are also friends of the Richmonds who also have visited us in Guatemala and we were able to help the Richmonds see their Compassion child.

Emma made the most delicious chocolate cake. I want the recipe for it.

Glenn is now watching the Monday Night Football game - Dallas playing a game on the West Coast against Seattle. Kick off was 10pm.

In summary the day was a success. We enjoyed lunch with friends we hadn't seen since 2010. When I think about how we met the DeWitts - just a casual meeting as we were standing behind our missions table, visiting with different folks that would walk by, we connected with Rachel and she has prayed for us and "followed" us since. Now, the DeWitts have decided to financially support us. Then we had a fun afternoon at the Air and Space Museum - seeing all those airplanes. I'm in heaven. The evening was closed off by a relaxing evening with the Miller family. Again, it is one of those things, where you don't see each other often (2010 and 2012), and we shared "life", talked about politics, laughed over Glenn's corny jokes and encouraged each other. Thank you Lord for another wonderful day in reconnecting with those who love us and love the Lord.




Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



27th August 2016

So great to see you and I am excited to continue to follow your journey!!

Tot: 0.209s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb