Day 2, Vermont Ski Trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Vermont » Stowe
January 3rd 2009
Published: January 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

January 3rd, 2009




Today we woke up and were greeted by 4" of fresh snow! Too bad our skiing destination was over 6 hours from where we were. We got out of bed and enjoyed a delicious breakfast prepared by Jess' aunt and uncle. After a cup of tea, I went out to clean off the car and get us re-packed. I loaded up the car, and with a little help from Jess' uncle, we got rolling out the driveway and we were off on our way. Stowe, here we come! The snow made us both very smiley, and we were both getting very excited.


After what seemed like decades of driving, we finally crossed the border (rather un-dramatically, given the one tiny sign that welcomed us to Vermont) into the state of our destination. Only a few hours to go! Just a straight shot north and we're there! What's this in the rear view? Flashing lights? An ambulance? A firetruck? A presidential brigade? No, just a Vermont state trooper, hurrying to welcome us into his state in a way only a highway patrolman could. Turns out Jess was a little heavy on the gas pedal! Eeep! Everything turned out fine, as it always does. Jess had no prior offenses, so after a stern warning we were sent off with our tails firmly between our legs.


We switched off drivers in Rutland, VT, and picked up a few last-minute groceries. The sun was apparently only interested in lighting Jess' way, because it set nearly as soon as I began to drive. So with decreasing temperatures, diminishing light, and increasing winds, I dug in to get us safely to Stowe. Our drive was uneventful, certainly compared to Jess' brush with The Law. We passed Pico Peak, a northern Vermont ski resort which stunned me with the size and length of its slopes. As I drove by, completely wowed, Jess informed me that Stowe's Mt. Mansfield is nearly three times as large.


At long last, we arrived in the village of Stowe. This place is beautiful. And our lodge is wonderful. We arrived at the front desk of the Golden Eagle Lodge in Stowe to a very friendly clerk who told us how to find our room, and showed us the layout of the grounds. As we drove around to our room, we discovered that our room was actually half of its own separate building! We have only one neighbor, so we can rely on a quiet stay. We got unpacked and took a moment to relax. What a wonderful place!


After getting our bearing in the town, we headed out for the Malt Shop, a 50's-style ice cream parlor with a food menu as well. It was here that I had the best Turkey Club sandwich of my LIFE! So so delicious. Anyone reading this, and planning or considering a trip to Stowe, go to the Malt Shop. Get the Turkey Club. You will not be let down. For real. Jess got soup and a sandwich, both seemed tasty.


After our long day on the road, we headed back to the Lodge, got settled, talked about what we should do the next day, and watched the Chargers-Colts game. I guess I should amend that. I watched the game, while Jess fought a losing battle against consciousness. Eventually I succumbed as well, anxious to start our first full day in this charming village.



More to come from our cozy home in Stowe!


Luke & Jess

Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb